Worst duck parent ever!

Puddin816

In the Brooder
May 3, 2023
I just went into the kitchen to grab some dinner and I came back and my baby had a cut in her beak, I was googling and then panicking, what should I do? I tried putting peroxide on it but the blood is already dried so it’s not doing much I’m just scared, she’s not in any pain and it’s no longer bleeding. She also has green and I can’t find anything on that, she’s a cross of a Pekin and an Ancona, she’s about 3 weeks I thought she was older but I looked at the dates and times going slow lately.
90EA2E1C-AD4A-4858-BCE6-39A9A0EC62AA.jpeg
7A4EA33E-67D2-4BF8-B169-E6C22CAB9445.jpeg

I just went into the kitchen to grab some dinner and I came back and my baby had a cut in her beak, I was googling and then panicking, what should I do? I tried putting peroxide on it but the blood is already dried so it’s not doing much I’m just scared, she’s not in any pain and it’s no longer bleeding. She also has green and I can’t find anything on that, she’s a cross of a Pekin and an Ancona, she’s about 3 weeks I thought she was older but I looked at the dates and times going slow lately. View attachment 3494411View attachment 3494412
My duck cracked her beak once, it bled a bit, even got on her feathers!
But by the time I noticed, it was mostly dried. So I just cleaned it gently with a bit of vetercyn and put a dab of triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) on it. I kept her water as clean as possible, and put anibitoic ointment on the crack each day.
It was completely healed within a week, wouldn't know it ever happened!

Your baby will heal just fine, just keep their waterer fresh as possible, and if you can put a little triple antibiotic without pain relief on occasionally.
This doesn't make you a bad duck parent! These little monkeys are incredibly good at getting themselves into trouble. Do you know how it happened?
You may want to check the brooder/pen for any hazards

My duck cracked her beak once, it bled a bit, even got on her feathers!
But by the time I noticed, it was mostly dried. So I just cleaned it gently with a bit of vetercyn and put a dab of triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) on it. I kept her water as clean as possible, and put anibitoic ointment on the crack each day.
It was completely healed within a week, wouldn't know it ever happened!

Your baby will heal just fine, just keep their waterer fresh as possible, and if you can put a little triple antibiotic without pain relief on occasionally.
This doesn't make you a bad duck parent! These little monkeys are incredibly good at getting themselves into trouble. Do you know how it happened?
You may want to check the brooder/pen for any hazards
I’m currently in the process of moving back home for the summer as I’m in college. In doing so she is temporarily in a 2 x 4 foot bucket I’m afraid this morning when I went to grab her out of the bucket she caught her beak on the outer lip of the lid and cut it. I put neosborn on it and cleaned out every nook and cranny in her pen just to double check and prevent infections. I feel absolutely terrible and have been giving her cuddles all day long!

I’m currently in the process of moving back home for the summer as I’m in college. In doing so she is temporarily in a 2 x 4 foot bucket I’m afraid this morning when I went to grab her out of the bucket she caught her beak on the outer lip of the lid and cut it. I put neosborn on it and cleaned out every nook and cranny in her pen just to double check and prevent infections. I feel absolutely terrible and have been giving her cuddles all day long!
Aww
I know you feel bad but you shouldn't! Accidents happen. Its clear you love her very much

Does she have a friend or is she a lone duckling?

Aww
I know you feel bad but you shouldn't! Accidents happen. Its clear you love her very much

Does she have a friend or is she a lone duckling?
Sadly she’s alone, she had a buddy but he passed away about a week ago. We couldn’t find out why he passed away we just woke up and he wasn’t with us anymore. She has already bonded well with me and my dogs but if she gets lonely we will get her another buddy.

Back
Top Bottom