1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Would a silkie mix with silkie make this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jferlisi, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Hey everyone. So i bought two silkies from a lady, and she told me the "red one" was a cross but when i asked she never said with what. So i was wondering if it was with another silkie or with something else. She also sold me a black silkie and i forgot to ask if she was a mix also. Could anyone help me out here. Also maybe the age if its not to much trouble.
    Red silkie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black silkie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and btw they both have 5 toes.

2. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    The red one is definitely a mix. I can see red colored comb and wattles on it. Mixed with what IDK [​IMG] The black one........I'm not a silkie expert. The coloring seems right, but something about the neck and carriage seems "off". I think close-up pictures of the heads and feet would help.

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ya i noticed that about the red one too. I will try to take some close ups later today but dont know for sure since i have a party today.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The first one looks like a roo, and black one looks like a hen. Just don't forget that is very hard to determine gender on Silkies until either the lay or crow. The first looks like a partridge colored Silkie mixed with a black or blue Hatchery quality Silkie. Both birds are at best just hatchery birds. That doesn't make them bad because they will still be nice chickens. You just may not want to show them. It is possible that they are mixed, but it would be very difficult to tell what the other part of the mix would be without DNA testing.

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Ya im not going to show them. I just wanted them cause they are fluffy. And i hope its not a roo or its being returned. I dont need a 3rd roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by