Would appreciate input on killing a baby - legs don't work

Thanks, True Patriot and aart!

Would you have time to skim this link below and let me know what you think please?

I have used this method and while the keets did not go to sleep peacefully as I had hoped they did die within seconds. I was very careful to get the concentrations right by preparing and following the instructions to a T and I tested for the presence CO2 and lack of oxygen in the tank with a candle to confirm that it would go out when lowered into the gas.

One keet seemed to gasp once or twice but I think it was a reflex after it was dead or unconscious already. It did not struggle and also died within seconds.

I think the most distress they had was me taking them out of the brooder and away from the others. The killing itself seemed humane.

Would appreciate more of your opinion.

http://www.ratfanclub.org/euth.html

What is a humane method in your opinion? Poultry scissors to cut through the neck and sever the head? Oh, I wish I did not have to do any of this!

If it's been a week and no improvement, I can't see it getting better as the bird gets bigger. It will just be putting more and more weight on those joints. In my opinion (and it seems you don't want to believe it, but I'll share it anyway), as Azygous said, decapitation is the fastest, most humane way to kill a baby chicken, keet, or other bird. We also decapitate our older birds when it's time. It's over with in a second.

What is a humane method in your opinion? Poultry scissors to cut through the neck and sever the head? Oh, I wish I did not have to do any of this!
I use very sharp(brand new-only thing I use them for) by-pass pruners,
I've found them the easiest to use.
Fastest is most humane, IMO.

The rat fan club is not exactly accepted within the rat community either. Just throwing that out there as a rat person myself; they're seen as a bit... Uh. Extreme.

Like, "how to remove tumors at home," give med advice (not just general livestock antibiotics like on here, either - like how to get around prescriptions for antibiotics and the dosage without veterinary care kinda deal) kinda extreme.

Most rat owners will have their rats pts via injection. CO2 is cruel. And it would be hard to make a setup for CO.

For larger birds i use a hatchet. Less chances of messing it up. For small birds i use a club to the head. It's instant for small birds. I've never messed it up that way.

Back
Top Bottom