Would having to Roosters Sharing The Same Coop With 22 Hens be Okay?

Should I get the Unsexed Cochin?

• Total voters
You can add pallets leaning on the walls of the run so birds can hide under them, multilevel branches, logs, etc.

You can click on the My Coop link under my name to access the article for how I did my built-in brooder and run. And ideas about how you might be able to get more roosting space.

Can you post pictures of the interior of your coop?
Thank you, and I unfortunately don't have any pictures of the interior of my coop right now.

Thank you, and I unfortunately don't have any pictures of the interior of my coop right now.
1582943200648.png
This is what my roosts look like though

You can add pallets leaning on the walls of the run so birds can hide under them, multilevel branches, logs, etc.

You can click on the My Coop link under my name to access the article for how I did my built-in brooder and run. And ideas about how you might be able to get more roosting space.

Can you post pictures of the interior of your coop?
After reviewing your "My Coop Link" I think I may be able to quite easily make some modifications to do something similar to your coop brooder, only I won't be able to do the chicken run access.

Thank you, this was very helpful

In my experience it depends on the birds themselves. I've had hatch mates that fought a lot when it came time to start thinking about girls. My current boys weren't hatch mates, there's several months difference in age between them. The older roo chased the younger a bit but there was no fighting. So far so good. I know that could change so I keep an eye on them. What does or doesn't work depends on each flock and situation, just go with the flow but have a plan for all extra boys just in case. Have a plan for dispatching a bird regardless, things happen and sometimes putting an animal down is the best course of action.

There are many aspects to this hobby. And different aspects require different levels of decision making. I recommend going with an all hen flock at first, and many people stay there.

To me, adding a rooster is the second aspect. Adding a rooster and letting him grow up under a multi-generational flock, has produced the best roosters for me. However, nothing is fool proof. Roosters are a crap shoot. If you get any roosters, you could get a rooster that does not fit in your set up. Before you do this, you need a plan what to do if that happens.

You have to go into roosters, knowing that they might not make the cut. Always solve for peace in the flock, and wishing they would all be nice won't work. Adding feet to the space, adding more birds, might work, but it probably won't work for a truly rotten rooster. Then "what you gonna do?"

I love having a good rooster, won't tolerate a rotten one, I can and have made those decisions. If you really don't want those decisions, then pass on both roosters. If you can make those decisions, then get them.

A bad rooster has ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people. A great rooster is a pleasure to have.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom