Would Pigs In My Yard Keep Hawks Away??

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
So... had a hawk get one of my girls today. One if my cute little EE's..
hmm.png

My Pigs were locked in their pen and not roaming my yard...(like they kinda usually do..)
When we went out there and saw her..(being eaten by a hawk..
sad.png
).. the pigs were going crazy... like they knew what was going on.
Just wondering if i let my pigs in my yard every day will they help keep hawks away??
Dumb question, i know. But i'm trying to think of anything here...
And i know some folks will say to keep them in their run with netting on top of my pen. But i cant put netting over my run because if its size and shape and how it climbs a hill and has trees in it too.
I know its going to be back...
barnie.gif

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a dumb question. Always ask. Pigs are not protectors. Pigs are omniverous, eating both plant and meat. If they were going nuts when the hawk attacked your chicken , it is probably because they smelled the blood and wanted some too. They would be more likely to eat your chickens rather than chasing off a hawk. If they have been ranging with your flock, they probably didn't know that chickens were food. They know it now, thanks Mr. Hawk.

Oh man, I'm so sorry you lost your hen...
hugs.gif

the hawks that generally do that are Accipiters, and pretty aggressive. My guess is that if it happened again, and your pigs were out - it might start a frenzy and the pigs would finish the hawk, the hen it got, then the rest of your flock. It's likely the pigs were reacting to the smell of blood as much as the scene.
:

Having the pigs out with the chickens might deter hawk attacks but only because of their large non prey size in close proximity to the chickens..

Quote:
That's my thought too. It really depends on how the pig is around the chickens in the first place.

So sorry for your loss though.

If it helps, we have some goats and a yak sharing our chicken's pasture, and we've NEVER had hawk or eagle problems. . . Don't know about a pig though but I'd assume the animal size thing would be a factor.

Quote:
Gahhh! I hope not! Right now my pigs are good with my chickens an ducks.
They've been raised together and honestly my drake beats the tar out of them and they squeal and run from him.
lol.png

BUt i do know that once a pig gets a "taste" of something..its all over...
I hope that they dont start to associate my chickens with food... that would be a nightmare.
he.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom