Would This Bother You? Donated Eggs and Expectations

Most churches in this area do not have an outreach of any kind. In fact, they are very insulated and apart from that type stuff. Still, there may be one that has something along those lines and we'll check it out.

Cyn

I agree that your donation of eggs is very generous and at least they could make the effort to pick up the eggs and return your cartons. Seems to me they are ungreatful.

Check with your local churches and see if they know of some families that are in need that can pick up any excess eggs you may have.

Ann

One thing: I would call the person you have been giving to, and tell him of your new plans given the economy. That is, they don't know what you are thinking so let them know that from now on, you can donate x number of eggs that they will have to pick up. When they come to pick the eggs up, they must bring cartons or you cannot help out at all.

Just the business woman in me, but these are times that are different than before and we are doing things differently than at any other time.

In this way, you have given him your clear expectations and if they are not met, then, you will be doing charity elsewhere. Your eggs and cartons: your choice.

Last edited:
You're lucky the food pantry will accept your eggs.

I have difficulty getting food banks and pantries to accept the kind of food I eat, which is a lot of homemade canned and frozen stuff this time of year. They won't take my sauerkraut, jelly, or frozen greens because I'm not a commercial processor.

Apparently there's a belief that you "can't guarantee quality" when you get food from anything but a commercial processor, although having seen some commercial processors in action I can assure you that between the rat problems, the filth, the unwashed hands, the pressure to use the cheapest possible materials regardless of whether they're good to eat (why are nearly all American cucumber pickles treated with Yellow #5 until they look like they should glow in the dark?) and the pressure to get everything done now-now-now, quality goes right out the window. When you buy "food" from a store, you never really know what you're eating or drinking.

Anyhow, the things that are good enough for me aren't good enough for the homeless shelters or food banks around here. That's not to say that the people who rely on those services wouldn't love a jar of my jam or some canned peaches from off my tree. I'm sure they would; everyone else who has tried it likes it. But the bureaucrats and the lawyers get in the way.

Add THAT to the fact that the big charity drives to collect toys, clothes, and furniture for babies and children require that all items be new and unused. The hand-me-downs that are good enough for my family just aren't good enough for the charities.

In the state of New Mexico at least, when it comes to anything organized by a registered charity, beggars *can* be choosers and they usually are.

Squeaky, I know what you're saying and I agree that it seems crazy for them to reject offers of free food. People are canning for their own families and are donating the same food to the charities, so the food obviously isnt dangerous.
Another thing that bothered us about this situation is that he returned 4 cartons. All we asked was that they saved the cartons. There were probably close to 40 cartons they could have returned, but we got back four filthy cartons (why cant they put them in a plastic grocery bag after use?) and one of those wasn't even ours plus it was melted, apparently from being sat next to a stovetop. When you consider shipping, then each carton costs about 40 cents rather than 25.
My DH told this man, in the presence of thrift store customers, that we would be happy to sell eggs to families in need for deep, deep discounts (less than store prices), or give them away, if needed, giving him a chance to spread the word, if he will. I know there are people in this county that may not be homeless, but are in dire conditions. So, if I'm giving away eggs and he'd rather buy them from the store, then I'm not sure he's not being a good steward of his ministry's money, however, it's not my operation. I just want the people who need it to benefit from my egg-wealth.

Speckledhen, if the egg cartons are returned to you filthy, I would wonder if they were taken out of the kitchen. Even in the kitchen, my egg cartons are clean. This situation sounds fishy to me. Sometimes compassion and generous hearts are abused.

You say it is a shelter, so I am assuming that the eggs are cooked and eaten in the shelter by the homeless there. Right?

Last edited:
I agree with you completely Cyn. It would put me off too. I put an ad on Craigslist for fresh eggs and people drive to my house and pay me $3/dozen for eggs (In the store you can get the white eggs for almost half that.) They also return the cartons to me. You have a commodity item. Do with it how you choose and don't be taken advantage of.
old.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I hate to be suspicious of charities but what I am seeing here , with a lack of " spreading the word" for families in need for free eggs, filthy cartons, and his ability to buy the 50 cents less per doz, I am willing to bet he is not handing them off for free to those in need.
I think you need to send someone in and see if they are actually being sold for the full price. thus making him 50 cents on a doz.
JMHO, but he sounds a bit fishy to me.
ETA:
I bring my exras to the food bank here almost every week but its only 3 miles down the road and I have to go by there every day.
The sponsers have offered to pick up but I cant see making them come out of there way when I travel right by there daily.
Speckeled Hen You are doing a wonderfull thing trying to help the less off. I applaude you and anyone else who chooses to help out the less fortunate.

Last edited:
Personally, i would NOT give to a church, I would give to a food pantry. The people I have darn near ALWAYS experienced is that YOU owe them something. They want you to keep giving and they almost always set up a plan for you to do so and at THEIR convenience.

So here you are. They want you to deliver and deliver on a time schedule so they can put this into there coffers. Oh look Harald, the church is giving away FRESH FREE RANGE FARM EGGS to the needy members, You know we should give them some more money for their EFFORTS. (maybe we can get a dozen)

Sorry, I have NO time for a church and their "needs".

I GIVE away almost all our eggs except the one we eat that week.

I have a few people that I do this with and I TELL THEM that I will continue to give them eggs if they are using them and not handing them off to others. Also, I tell them I do not guarantee delivery and I WANT MY EGG CARTONS BACK. I give them just enough that they will be "greedy" and keep them for themselves :
smile.png

Believe me I do this nicely and I do this in a timely maner. They are always happy to see me and I am always happy to see them.
There is the difference. I am not obligated, nor do I feel like in the end I have been used.

I presume you are not getting egg cartons back becuase the "members" do not care to bring them back. I would cut them off "nicely", lie if you have to and have someone else swear to it.

I always get requests from people for eggs. Sometimes they get them, but they are always grateful and pleasant. I simply lay down rules for every ones benefit, it is human nature and a church does not mean that will change.

Why is this always such a problem. YOU are giving away eggs from a nice chicken that YOU have feed and taken great care with. You keep them safe and YOU keep them so they will lay nice eggs.

I think some people just do not realize how much time, effort and money goes into getting a dozen farm fresh eggs from happy and confortable chickens.

My time ALONE is worth 5 bucks to me per dozen, but iti is a labor of love. Think of all those COLD hard mornings you go to the barn/coop and water, feed, check and recheck. Think of all those times you lug 50 pound bags of feed and layer in. Think of all those times you have lost a few chickens and cried over it. Think of all those times you have bought medication, DE, vitamines, electrolytes and not to mention the time and money you have in an emergency chicken first aid kit. Think of all the HOURS you have spent learning and going through web sites to help out your flock. Think of the things you have incountered good and bad with your flock. My gosh, think of all the equipment you have bought !!

You think the church would do this for their members ? This is why farmers had co-ops and Sundays were to get dressed up and go to church.

Remember, no good deed goes unpunished.

Back
Top Bottom