Would this shed work?

louieloui

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Hi all! We're new to chickens (and guineas) and have been looking at options for coops. Currently we have 5 chicks and 6 guineas with the plan being that the guineas will free range during the day and (hopefully) roost in the coop overnight. The chicks will have a run and be let out during the day and cooped at night. My husband found this shed and thought it could work with some modifications but what do you guys think? We're planning to put hardwire cloth over the windows instead of installing the plastic "glass" for them over the warmer months and then closing most of them over the winter. The gable vent at the top is a working vent as well. Our other option is to have a guy who builds coops make us one, but with our budget it will end up being smaller for sure.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-S...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

f9669d9e-9f6d-4572-afed-df4348419fa5_300.jpg

thumbsup.gif
I would use it if it were me...I saw one at Sam's very similar and my son thought I was nuts when I mentioned that I would want it for ANOTHER chicken coop! Go for it!! Looks easy to clean too!
thumbsup.gif

I live in FL and our little rubbermaid shed has been through several hurricanes...we used foam sealer in all corners/edges after putting it together to seal it...
We have not had any issues whatsoever and I would not hesitate to use a large one for a coop...

but....if you want the most for your money....I would build from wood, if you want to save time and don't want to build use the shed~ you will still have to make modifications, but it would work nicely

Last edited:
Quote:
I think we could definitely build one for less money, but I don't think my husband wants to do it. :eek:( We will at least get a taste of building when we make the run, though. :eek:)

Here's my vinyl-shed-turned-chicken coop. I bought the shed used almost two years ago and it has functioned well. We have had very high winds here this winter and it doesn't move. It has ventilation front and back windows on both sides. They are covered in hardware cloth for additional ventilation.

34566_sleeping-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ventilation is very important for chickens, and it looks like you'd need to add more, a lot more, for this to be suitable for chickens. I'm not sure how easy it is to cut more vents in a plastic shed.

Quote:
10 windows isn't enough ventilation? Plus the working gable vent? How many would I need? I ask because I've seen several wooden coops that have 1-4 small ones at most despite being close to the same size, so I figured 10 would be really good.

I thought it only had 8 windows but after reading the reviews it apparently has 10.

Last edited:
we bought the same one, but got the 7.5 X 10 foot one with 6 windows on each side, have not put together yet, planning to put hardware cloth in the windows and probably make a harddware cloth door that can be secured in the hot summer nights sothey don't get too hot when loccked inside!!! (we are in Florida) neat to see someone else with the same plan!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom