Would you allow your daughter to join the Navy?

Well here's my 2 cents. While I love the military and support them in everything...recruiters rank right along side telemarketers, credit card agencies and scratch off tickets on the list of who to look for to find the quickest short end of the stick in a pretty package with a "free" bow. Educate your daughter and have her make an EDUCATED decision. Then support HER decision. The End.

I was very surprised when I called two different recruiters in our area and got different answers about how long she would be required to serve active duty if she went through the NROTC program. The first said 6 years (yikes!) and the second said five. The recruiter my daughter spoke to said four. I would think there would be a set answer and that they would all know it. I would think it's possible that circumstances alter that number, but neither of them addressed that possibility.

I've forwarded a link to this thread to my daughter so I'm curious to see what she thinks after reading. It's a really good feeling to be able to hear so many different points of view from all over the country. Thank you!

While the military is certainly a government institution, I consider it apart from the "government". I despise the people who have control of congress now, and feel the current president is the worst we've ever known, but I would still wholeheartedly support my son or daughter going into the military.

I guess my question to her would be what she wants to get a degree in and what occupation she are hoping for and then suggest you guys work backward from there. There are several high demand jobs that with her AA, good grades and some online searching she will find “tuition reimbursement” in the fine print. There are also some out here that actually pay for the college first with the caveat the person is locked into working for that company for X years and often at a very nice salary with good benefits. Many of the medical fields nursing, nuc med, x-ray/ct etc techs fall into the above category and competition is fierce. If she was willing to let the Navy send her wherever doing whatever job why not seek out another option that works the same way, except she would get the degree first and be working (getting experience for a resume) in a high pay/demand field for the few years her commitment runs. After that she should have the funds to pick up classes and 2nd degree in what she “really “ wants or go on in what she degree she already has. No deployments to high risk areas or the confines of military rules.

There are other companies that are rumored to have some of the best tuition reimbursement programs but they do require you get in there working first then apply for the benefits. Google, Yahoo, Disney (my brother started there as an hs grad and earned his engineering degree using their benefits), Best Buy (must be a techno geek degree), Johnson&Johnson, Raytheon, UPS, John Deere, most pharmaceutical companies. Many are just part of your benefits package but some are more specific and your degree must be in an area they can use because you will have to commit to working for them for 2-4yrs post graduation or pay the educational benefits back. Many colleges and universities also have great benefits. None the above listed require she have a degree to start working for them however her AA would get her in above a HS grad.
Also she can look online for “best companies to work for” and the annual Working Mother "best companies" to work for as usually the great benefits come into play in the choices.
There are so many options for her beyond the fantasies the recruiter is painting for her. I hope the choice she does make is the right one for her.

Quote:
Back in the dark ages when I was in AFROTC, the committment varied depending on factors such as whether or not you had a scholarship, were assigned in a rated position (pilot or navigator) or were simply under contract. If you were under contract, you received a monthly stipend, but were responsible for paying your own tuition and books; hte committment was 4 years. I am pretty sure that rated positions had a 5 year committment; don't recall what scholarship committment was, but it probably varied depending on hte number of yours you had a scholarship.

I "allowed" my son to participate in Sea Cadets - a highschool ROTC type program. I am not an enthusiast for military careers. I believe that many people can find interesting vocations that will not involve killing anyone - ever.
hide.gif
My son worked this Navy thing out of his system pretty quick. He went to a pseudo-Basic Training & did not like having people yell at him. He will follow his Dad's footsteps & go into medicine.

My kid is a privileged kid. Hubby & I were not. We worked our way through college, accrued some debt & did FINE!!!! If I could have 10 minutes with your daughter, I would tell her that the "terrible burden" of college debt is no big whoop, certainly not worth commiting to years and years of service. Not unless she really, really wants to! (A dear highschool friend of mine is retiring after 25 years in the Marines - He loved it. Bless him!) The "terrible burden" of college debt is NOTHING in the budget of a professionally employed person. So you rent the condo for 4 years instead of buying a house? Big deal! So, your friends (whose parents paid their way) are going to Cancun at age 28, you'll make it there when you are 32!!!! Really THAT is the "terrible burden" she can face. It will be less if she does work study.

Quote:
You sound pretty bitter against the military. You picked an odd day to spout off about it. But BECAUSE of this day and what it represents - your allowed to do that.

Your Welcome.

Quote:
The more that comes out the more it looks like the military might not be a good idea.

People join the military for many reasons; some to serve their country, some for the benefits, some for adventure, some to get away. Whatever reason one enlists for they have to be prepared for what they didn't expect, like joining the Guard or Reserve for the education package end ending up doing multiple trips to a war zone and the education getting put on long term hold.

Even though the oath says defend and support the Constitution not the "government" the military is still an instrument of the government.

I have a few friends that actually finished their degree when deployed. CDR's are pretty accommodating to troops that are trying to better themselves. There is just too many online programs, Military and otherwise, to put your education on hold anymore. Granted, it's harder - but it can be done. And again, commanders try and help soldiers get the time they need to take at least one class at a time. Depending on your MOS and assignment, you could do more.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Memorial Day,, celebrating those who served in the military to guarantee you the right to say how you feel about them and the military in general. You didn't earn that freedom, they earned it for you.

Thank you for the list of companies who help people get a degree, zbit! I had no idea there were places that did that. I'll research that more.

Chickenmaven, I'd love to let you talk to my daughter for ten minutes to say what you just said on here. Good stuff!! Perspective is vital. I completely agree that to a professional person, a college loan payment is nothing.

Thank you all for your helpful words and guidance.

Back
Top Bottom