Would you eat a chicken that died through sickness, or injury?

Hmm. I think the Bible has something to say about this, but off the top of my head I can't remember. I think it says not to eat anything that dies of itself or that is torn in the field. I'll look it up. I believe an animal killed by a predator, that dies in terror, is flushed with adrenaline, and that affects the meat somehow. Sigh, again, that is something I read somewhere and I can't quote a source. Joys of aging. But my answer is no, I wouldn't eat, in either case. I don't eat much meat, and when I do, as far as possible I want it to come from healthy animals killed quickly and humanely.

It is worth bearing in mind that the probability is we eat meat from various animals that are carriers of a number of diseases and certainly in the not so distant past, treated with various drugs to promote growth and combat disease.
Given the prevalence of Mareks for example the probability is eventually if you eat chicken you will eat one that is a carrier.
I'm inclined to believe that adequate cooking will kill bacteria introduced by say a predators claws or beak.
I'm not sure the food production standards are the same for Spain and the USA, but I try to buy local free range, organic chicken for eating, and local grass fed beef. It costs more, but I like to know what I'm eating. We have tried to eat our own culled roosters. My DH likes it, but I cannot eat it. I just can't. :hmm

I might consider eating a bird that was injured, if it was something like an accident snapping the neck and the body retrieved immediately. When it comes to illness or an injury where infection had opportunity to set in, I'd pass and offer the whole bird directly back to nature. Humans don't have guts like hyenas or vultures that can handle a bit more buffet of life in the flesh.
I dispose of mine. Giving it to nature on this property anywhere will invite the local wildlife to look for the next chicken dinner here. :barnie No thanks.

There are many diseases that are transmittable to humans some of those diseases are carried by our pets and or livestock. Most of us who have had livestock of any kind are knowledgeable in that respect and take precautions. This is why getting our food from mass production has become somewhat scary to us.

IF it doesnt look right dont shoot it... was what my dad used to say... With regard to wild rabbits. Through experience when he field dressed a lethargic rabbit he found it riddled with worms.

Sushi for example and I am a sushi Consumer. But Sushi is required to be frozen to a certain temperature... Dont know what that is... to kill any parasites it may carry.... This is also why I prefer only certain cuts... Believe it or not red blooded fish can regulate their temperature in a fascinating fashion. Their pararsites are the ones that caused that rule... Fresh water fish are a no as well...

Ok back to chickens.... The reason the Maricks (sp) vaccine was invented was to protect Battery hens and or Chickens raised as meat. IT DOES NOT protect the birds from the disease.... It only Keeps them from getting internal tumors eye tumors and Nurological effects. BUT Their Dander is Still has the Disease and it can be spread to other birds. Maybe not as easily but still....

This is why my flock historically has never been vaccinated.... If I have the disease in the flock I want to know about it. Since I am incapable of testing to see if perhaps my birds may be carriers. Once I knew They would be on lock down in perpetuation. I would be able to sell eggs but thats it. And All future chicks would be inoculated till I had a fully inoculated flock and I would know why. But they would still be on lock down. Once its in the soil its very hard to get rid of.

Sorry I dont usually get into these kind of discussions.... I keep to myself on my comfortable threads.

Bottom line... I would eat a predator killed hen if I saw the act and was able to retrieve the bird immediately.

Any bird killed by unknown reasons would get necropsied and buried.... or sent off to university to find out why.

And among the "Favorite birds" they would go to the pet graveyard here.... sigh.

deb

I met a natural beef farmer once at the feed store... she raised her Brahama crossed herd handles the heat and forage better here... She raised her herd on natural feeds and forages.... Then she said she watched in horrer when she auctioned them off ... before they were loaded on the truck they were injected with a growth hormone pellet right behind the ear... They were headed to a feed lot. to be "fattened UP'

By the way Cattle feed Will kill horses outright if it has what they put in it to get them to fatten up.

here on a boarding ranch about forty years ago the grain mill put Cattle grain in the wrong bags.... They lost forty horses before they found the reason.... Beloved Equine companions .....

deb

I met a natural beef farmer once at the feed store... she raised her Brahama crossed herd handles the heat and forage better here... She raised her herd on natural feeds and forages.... Then she said she watched in horrer when she auctioned them off ... before they were loaded on the truck they were injected with a growth hormone pellet right behind the ear... They were headed to a feed lot. to be "fattened UP'

By the way Cattle feed Will kill horses outright if it has what they put in it to get them to fatten up.

here on a boarding ranch about forty years ago the grain mill put Cattle grain in the wrong bags.... They lost forty horses before they found the reason.... Beloved Equine companions .....

deb
My beef comes from a family farm that is certified by Animal Welfare Assoc. as both humanely raised and processed. All grass fed. My husband has visited the farm. It's such a relief to find beef I can trust.

Back
Top Bottom