Would you eat a chicken that died through sickness, or injury?

I'm not sure the food production standards are the same for Spain and the USA, but I try to buy local free range, organic chicken for eating, and local grass fed beef. It costs more, but I like to know what I'm eating. We have tried to eat our own culled roosters. My DH likes it, but I cannot eat it. I just can't. :hmm
I would think that food production standards are comparable, Spain would fall under the EU guidelines.
In the local village here, you can buy locally produced meat some of it coming from the surrounding farms where I live.
I rarely buy meat from a butchers or supermarket. I eat the wild boar that is hunted in these mountains; they certainly won't have growth hormones e,t,c. I get this directly from the hunters.
I don't eat much meat. I know what the chickens and ducks here have eaten within reason bearing in mind they all free range. The feed they get is organic, whatever that's worth, so a dead chicken, or duck here is top quality meat. I bear this in mind when I eat one.
The last chicken I ate here was killed by a Goshawk. Not wishing to be gory but needing to explain the wound type, the hens back had been opened up and the hawk had started to eat the internal organs. Apart from being dead, it was a very healthy chicken.

Eating a chimp with SIV does not give you HIV. It was contact with their infected blood that transmitted the disease, and is still what transmits the disease.
The virus mutated. That's a known property of all viruses. It's still mutating.

Contact with the blood happened because they were either able to kill the animal or found one already dead. And how did they catch a chimp or find a dead one? Because it was likely weaked by disease.

Agree with most that say not sick/diseased...would also have to add it depends on the time of year...the hunters in my family only get deer and what not (groundhogs, squirrels, I'm STILL in Appalachian Mtns.) when it's cold outside, and you can dress it properly, not rushed by the heat.

Anywho, a little sidetrack of the topic,

Would you eat a bird culled by the "gas chamber" method?

I'm a bit on the fence about this one...not sure what, if any chemicals would actually be in the meat.

I can’t help but imagine a dead chicken caused by illness or disease as being skinny with fatty yellow deposits and or worm infested. :sick Not sure if my thoughts are due to my hens are primarily pets or because I’m extremely picky about the meat I eat.
This is a good point regarding eating chickens that have died through sickness.
I spend a lot of time with the chickens here. They come in my house to shelter from the sun.
I estimate now that by the time I've recognized that a chicken is sick, rather than having an off day, they may have had the problem for some time. It's not because I don't look, it's because they hide sickness very well. While not worm infested and yellow, they are often very underweight when they die.

The virus mutated. That's a known property of all viruses. It's still mutating.

Contact with the blood happened because they were either able to kill the animal or found one already dead. And how did they catch a chimp or find a dead one? Because it was likely weaked by disease.
If people start catching STDs from their chickens, I think they have bigger problems to worry about than eating a sick bird. Lol.

You shouldn’t eat diseased animals; HIV is a poor example of why.

Given the prevalence of Mareks for example the probability is eventually if you eat chicken you will eat one that is a carrier.
But does Mareks affect humans?

The last chicken I ate here was killed by a Goshawk. Not wishing to be gory but needing to explain the wound type, the hens back had been opened up and the hawk had started to eat the internal organs.
If intestine had been breached...ummm, no. Glad you didn't get sick.

Research doesn't actually work like that. It has to be studied by several different laboratories with consistent results to be accepted research.
Also, you can track the mutations of the virus. It's called epidemiology. And it can be traced back to chimps.

Science is a wonderful thing.

Actually, that's exactly how research works sometimes. I assure you that they have never isolated the virus. They came up with a hypothesis and ran with it.

If people start catching STDs from their chickens, I think they have bigger problems to worry about than eating a sick bird. Lol.

You shouldn’t eat diseased animals; HIV is a poor example of why.

They try to make that same connection with ebola, ie, that you can get it from eating bush animals like bats. However, they eat bats all of the time in Ivory Coast and that country has never had an occurrence of ebola.

Back
Top Bottom