Would you eat a chicken that died through sickness, or injury?

I'll start out by saying I haven't read the whole thread. Since you're asking for opinions and not advice, I'll chime in and read the thread later when I have time.

It depends. I wouldn't eat a chicken that I know is ill. If it looks bad, has been dragging around for days, or not moving, whatever - if I know it's sick, I really don't want to eat it. I don't care if cooking will destroy whatever is making it sick, I don't care if I'm not in danger of getting it. It's the "yuck factor". Nope. Only good, quality chicken for me. Yep, I'm fussy. (Or that special - however you want to look at it ;)) I may or may not eat an injured chicken. Again, it depends. If, say, its leg was injured as Ridgerunner was talking about, and it's a fresh injury - not something where infection has already set in, I'd consider it. I can just remove that part and be done with it. If it's something that may have a lot of puncture wounds from teeth or talons.... I'm not that hungry. I don't think I would. We had a mink kill several chickens last summer. DH found them. All were dead but one, and he put that one down. My first question was, "Why didn't you butcher her?" The mink had killed them by ripping the backs of their heads off. No meat was affected. I was thinking of the wasted meat. He said he just didn't feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom