Would you keep a mean chicken?

In general it it no problem to rehome a healthy hen. Not even if she is a bossy type. Lots of people have flocks where such a hen would fit in. And maybe she is less bossy in another flock. No reason to kill her IMHO.
She was rehomed with chickens her own size. I'm sure she won't get away with the same behavior with them. I personally am against culling. Especially, a young, healthy Chicken. There are so many chicken keepers in my area. I had to rehome 2 Roos at 8 weeks old. They were full siblings of the one I really wanted to breed. One lives in my neighborhood and I've been told is the sweetest guy. The other went to a Rooster Rescue where he was rehomed. I got my Roo from someone who ended up with too many Roos. He's been the sweetest little guy. đź’•

My expierance with all breeds of chickens is that silky's and polish are common targets of picking and bulling.
If I had silky's I would not add standard size birds. Bantams would be ok as the hens are very sweet.
Deffinatly avoid Rhode Island Reds!
The most laid back and non aggresive standard sized birds I have has been my Dorkings.
Big birds, average layers, great broodies, friendly, slow and easy going dispositions
Good luck with your flock!

Would you keep a mean chicken that poops bigger than the eggs it lays?
Possibly yes, maybe no. Depends on how mean and in what way. If she's the pseudo rooster for the flock I'd watch her. What may appear at first glance to be mean might just be her way to keep the flock under control and safe. I recognize that chickens are not running on human standards. Being a bit mean has been a good survival tactic for a critter that.. er, tastes like (yum) chicken.
If the hen she's attacking is a good hen and productive and she's just being a straight bully? Nope not happy with that.
If she isn't productive as well? Now that might get her stewed. As much as I love my birds they have to earn their chicken feed.
Big poops wouldn't factor in for me, I keep a chicken poo compost pile and big poops are just fine. They make great fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom