Would you let your toddler wander around a vet's office?

Quote:
Why should I muzzle my dog when he is the one that has had obedience training?

edited to remove uncalled for comments.

/has a dog and a kid, keeps them both leashed and within 5' of her in public and has taught both not to bother strangers.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It is the parents fault for not controlling the child. Parents like that should be ashamed of themselves.

My children are very well behaved, and would not ever even go near a strange dog. I have been in public places where my children are minding their own business and someones dog comes running out of nowhere at them. I think lots of times people don't control their dogs. Especially when I am walking on a sidewalk and the dog comes running at us barking, my kids get very scared. It is not only parents that can be stupid, sometimes it's the dog owners.

Quote:
Sorry, but when I repeatedly tell a kid to leave my dog alone and he defiantly disobeys and even tried to sneak up on the dog, he is a brat. Little kids understand what no means. If a child can't behave or has not been taught the meaning of no, the parent should supervise them accordingly. If a kid is running around acting like a monster, it's NOT cute. It's a brat. I'm sure that your children are well behaved and wouldn't fall into that category. I am not mean and the only problem I have is with people that think that their kids can do no wrong and let them run wild. If you disagree, we will just have to agree to disagree. Just like bad dogs, brats aren't born. They are created.

I have (almost always had animals). When my 3 daughters--now 21, 26 and 29 we little I expected them to behave wherever we went. If not, I would lean over and talk (not whisper) to them, "If you don't behave, then we will have to leave." I made good on my promise every time, ESPECIALLY at a store. Years later, they each told me that this was the scariest thing I ever did to them--the "creepy" talking in the ear part. I was always concerned that they might be bitten if they approached a dog that didn't know them.

I don't hesitate to speak up now, when a parent neglects a child in this way. The last time was in a ladies RR at a college FTball game, THIS FALL. Some mother brought her 7 yr old son in to use the RR, and squatted down in front while he used the stall, with the door open. She wanted an arguement about how her son didn't have a father--the ****ing tickets are $60.00 a piece for crying-out-loud--MUCH more than a babysitter would cost in C-U. I don't know why:
1) she didn't wait outside the men's RR for him
2) she didn't take him inside the MEN's RR and help him there

There's A LOT of really bad parenting going on out there.

OP, I totally understand your frustration! I worked as a vet tech for three years, and you would not BELIEVE the little horrors (both canine and child) that people allowed to run amok and destroy our waiting room...ugh!

We had one super dumb lady who was always in with a new baby animal of one sort or another, and she had a child who was so evil she actually kept it on a leash, I kid you not. Ok, so the child wasn't evil, the woman was at fault. This little girl would throw framed pictures against the wall, try to swipe vaccines out of my hands, run around me winding her leash around my feet while I was trying to treat a pet...etc etc.
Lol...got me ranting a bit...

Oh I forgot to actually answer the OPs question-------

If the conditions you describe are to be considered--- no I would not.

I do understand that a dog can "knock" a child down, step on him and do damage in ways other than with teeth. However with a muzzled dog, the teeth are out of the equation.

Quote:
Why should I muzzle my dog when he is the one that has had obedience training?

edited to remove uncalled for comments.

/has a dog and a kid, keeps them both leashed and within 5' of her in public and has taught both not to bother strangers.​

Because even though he is a good smart well trained dog, he will be blamed for anything that happens. Yeah I know seems as if the kids should be leashed and restrained but that ain't how liability works out. Even when a holy terror, brat gets bit, it's the dog and his owner who pays.

Nope, I don't want my kids to have any scars on their faces! I have 2 wonderful kid dogs now but I had one that I raised from 7 1/2 weeks that I had to rehome because he was too nervous and nipped my kid in the face a few times (I would have rehomed after the 1st time but DH wouldn't hear of it, he was never home to witness it). I have tried to teach my kids not to go up to a strange dog without asking 1st. I also keep my dogs on a tight leash.

Quote:
I would be very reluctant to send a 7 year old in on his own to a mens restroom in a football stadium! Yes, to a small restroom with one entry/exit and only one or two stalls, but a stadium restroom? No way.

"I have four big dogs. We have no kids "

the vet is a stressfull enviroment, our vet has a special waiting area for dogs that may bite..a.k.a dogs whos parents think they are a human kid........maybe your vet has one just incase there is a child with his mother in the waiting room..

"I looked up to see this unattended toddler walking toward us, about five feet away"

a vets office is not that big...iam sure this toddler wasnt to far from his mom if she grabbed him that fast. so thats not unattended.if she left to go to her car thats unattended

i dont mean to sound brassy, but if i had to choose between my barnyard full of animals or my child or any child...the animal would loose...children are more important then pets

Back
Top Bottom