Would you like egg pictures on the Peafowl Image Database?

new 2 pfowl

Crowing
Jan 13, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Hello all,
@Birdrain92 has taken some pictures lately of pea eggs in the nest and wondered if they would be good for the Image Database (Good idea, thanks!).

Do you guys think it would be useful to have an "Eggs" section on the Database?
For example, with pictures of pea eggs next to other eggs, candling pictures, pictures of unusual/softshelled eggs to help people figure out egg problems, etc.?

Let me know!
n2

Hello all,
@Birdrain92 has taken some pictures lately of pea eggs in the nest and wondered if they would be good for the Image Database (Good idea, thanks!).

Do you guys think it would be useful to have an "Eggs" section on the Database?
For example, with pictures of pea eggs next to other eggs, candling pictures, pictures of unusual/softshelled eggs to help people figure out egg problems, etc.?

Let me know!
n2

Sounds like a good idea to me, let people know they do not have a soft-witted hen when she makes her nest in the worst, most unlikely, uncomfortable, strangest location ever!
lau.gif
I think pictures of some outside nests as well as Zaz's on top of the truck nests, and just a variety would get the point across. And maybe a common problems with eggs as well as a couple of egg-stance photos, I'll try to get pics of any soft shelled ones we get and here is a pic of the hen that laid my "crackled" looking egg, if you want it.

Thanks for the input, you guys.
@DylansMom , should we classify your hen picture as "about to lay"?

I'll start collecting pictures of:
-hens about to lay or showing signs of trouble, to help people with questions
-nests, showing strange locations, etc.
-eggs, next to other eggs for comparison
-eggs with problems of some kind
-candling pictures

Let me know if you want other things included, and please post or send me pictures if you have them!
Thanks,
n2

-candling pictures

Let me know if you want other things included, and please post or send me pictures if you have them!
Thanks,
n2

I'd say she was as "about to lay" as they get!
big_smile.png
Just to reassure everyone, she looks fine now. Feel free to use the "crackled" egg pic and I have a rolling detached air cell pic somewhere, if you'd like me to repost that one.

Last edited:

-candling pictures

Thanks,
n2
I think it's a great idea! What I'd like people to know is that the "gonna lay look" can mean they're in big trouble if they don't lay an egg in 24-48 hours, but not sure how to word that.

-Kathy

Somewhere I have a picture of a pea egg that was stuck in the hen for over a week... will have to find that one!

-Kathy

I think it's a great idea! What I'd like people to know is that the "gonna lay look" can mean they're in big trouble if they don't lay an egg in 24-48 hours, but not sure how to word that.

-Kathy

Question. .... Is there a definite "this long is too long" period? Several of mine displayed the gonna lay look for a couple evenings in a row, and then didn't lay for 2 weeks. It was not as bad as the hen in my picture and it would go away during the morning and afternoon and come back in the evening, but it was definitely "the stance". It seems it is again a very subjective thing and how can you let people know that? I just hate the thought of panicking a lot of people and having them stressing the hens when there isn't really a problem yet. If that makes sense.

Quote: I don't like the idea of creating a panic either, and they can retain the egg for quite some time and be okay. Guess I'm kind of sensitive to the subject right now because I have one that has lad three softies, then a normal one that had only 1/2 normal shell thickness (yes, I measured it, lol), followed by another softie. Each time she looks like she's gonna die, and I don't mean looks like the normal "egg stance", it's more like the picture that @new 2 pfowl posted of her hen in February of 2014.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom