Would you like egg pictures on the Peafowl Image Database?

new 2 pfowl

Crowing
Jan 13, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
Hello all,
@Birdrain92 has taken some pictures lately of pea eggs in the nest and wondered if they would be good for the Image Database (Good idea, thanks!).

Do you guys think it would be useful to have an "Eggs" section on the Database?
For example, with pictures of pea eggs next to other eggs, candling pictures, pictures of unusual/softshelled eggs to help people figure out egg problems, etc.?

Let me know!
n2

Usually the shell will be wave like were it's built up in one spot if it gets stuck or at least for chickens. I would say if the peahen is egg bound they can't really move. Before peahens lay they get terrible balance. Right before the egg is out they kind of become paralyzed. If they are egg bound they remain paralyzed for a long time and you can tell because they can't move that well. I have a picture of my hen when she was egg bound. I will send that when I get home. Then I have the pic of that egg which had no shell. I have a few candling pics but they are terrible pictures. My hen is suppose to lay tonight so when I candle the egg I will take pics with my good camera. Should I put arrows and anatomy of the egg when candling to show what's what?

Again Birdrain, don't make blanket statements based on your one experience with egg binding. I have had hens who became paralyzed from it just like your's did, and I have had hens who were egg bound but never became paralyzed and could move just fine. In my opinion it probably depends on where that egg is located when it gets stuck. If it is close enough to a major nerve that runs to the legs it makes sense that it might put pressure on that nerve and cause the paralysis we sometimes see. New2 lost a hen that became egg bound and never passed the egg, she eventually died, but from what I remember of the pictures she never became paralyzed.
Making it sound like all egg bound hens become paralyzed could cause some people to miss the fact that their unparalyzed hen is in fact egg bound and needs help. If you want to share your experiences that is great, just make it clear that yours' is just one example and not all will be the same way.

Gotta find a way to teach people how to do the exam safely. It used to scare me, but now the thought of not doing one and missing something treatable scares me more. Mine are pretty tame, so I catch them, and while they are still standing, I gently insert me index finger about the length of my very short fingernail and check. Definitely have to be gentle, 'cause there is a chance one could break the egg, though it's more likely to break being expelled if is a softie or thin shelled.

-Kathy

Egg on right was laid after a week of being semi-egg bound. Egg on left is the normal egg color for this hen. Anytime I see one really dark like this I assume it's been inside the hen way too long.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hello all,
@Birdrain92 has taken some pictures lately of pea eggs in the nest and wondered if they would be good for the Image Database (Good idea, thanks!).

Do you guys think it would be useful to have an "Eggs" section on the Database?
For example, with pictures of pea eggs next to other eggs, candling pictures, pictures of unusual/softshelled eggs to help people figure out egg problems, etc.?

Let me know!
n2

Sounds like a good idea to me, let people know they do not have a soft-witted hen when she makes her nest in the worst, most unlikely, uncomfortable, strangest location ever!
lau.gif
I think pictures of some outside nests as well as Zaz's on top of the truck nests, and just a variety would get the point across. And maybe a common problems with eggs as well as a couple of egg-stance photos, I'll try to get pics of any soft shelled ones we get and here is a pic of the hen that laid my "crackled" looking egg, if you want it.

Thanks for the input, you guys.
@DylansMom , should we classify your hen picture as "about to lay"?

I'll start collecting pictures of:
-hens about to lay or showing signs of trouble, to help people with questions
-nests, showing strange locations, etc.
-eggs, next to other eggs for comparison
-eggs with problems of some kind
-candling pictures

Let me know if you want other things included, and please post or send me pictures if you have them!
Thanks,
n2

-candling pictures

Let me know if you want other things included, and please post or send me pictures if you have them!
Thanks,
n2

I'd say she was as "about to lay" as they get!
big_smile.png
Just to reassure everyone, she looks fine now. Feel free to use the "crackled" egg pic and I have a rolling detached air cell pic somewhere, if you'd like me to repost that one.

Last edited:

-candling pictures

Thanks,
n2
I think it's a great idea! What I'd like people to know is that the "gonna lay look" can mean they're in big trouble if they don't lay an egg in 24-48 hours, but not sure how to word that.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom