Would you sell your chickens/ducks to someone who...

TattooQ27

Songster
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY - Albany area
You knew only wanted them as pets for their kids and they had no knowledge of chickens/ducks?

I have someone interested in my ducklings that is making me nervous. She seems incredibly nice but she doesn't know anything about ducks and she wants them for her kids as pets. I love my ducks to pieces and I would prefer they not go as kid pets because most ducks don't especially love human contact (at least in my experience) and kids seem to like pets they can pick up and hold and will lose interest in any pet that is more for watching than actually playing with.

I don't know if I should tell her I am not comfortable with her buying them or if I should just shut up and hope that the kids don't lose interest after a week of owning them.

ducks are not toys. i wouldn't do it.

ETA: now if she was going to use the ducks as a tool to teach the children how to care and raise them, and she was going to be the supervisor and main caretaker, i would possibly consider it, after I was sure she had all the proper tools to care for them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I do :eek:) It was only a year ago and I have come a looong way since then but I bought the ducks for myself because I have wanted them for as long as I can remember. At 28 I am old enough to know I won't lose interest in something just because ownership presents challenges but this person wants them for her kids. Kids are notorious for thinking "hey, cute ducky, I want it" and then once the get scratched by it or figure out ducks don't love to be handled the kids lose interest. I have 3 kids (4 as of next month) so I do know how they work....2 very ignored hamsters later (and no, I didn't allow them to rehome the hamsters but I ended up doing all the work).

I guess I will just give her as much info as I can and go from there.

Quote:
Yes, I do :eek:) It was only a year ago and I have come a looong way since then but I bought the ducks for myself because I have wanted them for as long as I can remember. At 28 I am old enough to know I won't lose interest in something just because ownership presents challenges but this person wants them for her kids. Kids are notorious for thinking "hey, cute ducky, I want it" and then once the get scratched by it or figure out ducks don't love to be handled the kids lose interest. I have 3 kids (4 as of next month) so I do know how they work....2 very ignored hamsters later (and no, I didn't allow them to rehome the hamsters but I ended up doing all the work).

I guess I will just give her as much info as I can and go from there.

Yes, provide the information needed to be educated about raising ducks. They are NOT cuddly, but the cuteness factor never wears off. I can't get enough of watching them waddle and quack.

I agree with Debi. Just because they haven't owned one before, doesn't mean that the person can't provide it a great home. If she seems willing to learn and able to provide the ducks what they need to thrive, I say go for it. They are easy to care for.
smile.png

This is what I would do in your situation. I would print out a care sheet, and then tell her, "This is the feeding and care schedule they're used to, it may be better to follow this for a while so they don't get too confused or upset." The care sheet would say things like, let them get used to their new surroundings before handling them too much, what sort of feed they eat, stuff like that.

Quote:
good idea! We have care sheets for the chicks are will be selling. So everyone knows what they are getting into. We will not sell any from now til a week after Easter though.

Quote:
That's a good idea. As of yesterday she was planning to let them free range from the start. No predator safe enclosure or anything. Week old ducklings can't just go outside but even adult ducks need somewhere safe to go overnight.

Back
Top Bottom