Wound with maggots I can't get rid of **NOW WITH PICS**

To the people posting that maggots are a good thing. Guys, the maggots used on people are called sterile maggots. They are raised in sterile envioroments and are placed in sterilized wounds along with sterilized dressings to cover them, and then tweezed out. Maggots from flies are a bad sign. The flies probably just hopped off a nice big pile of morning chicken poop and into your chickens wound. Poop in wound....not good. You need to tweeze every single maggot out, put some tripple anibiotic cream on the wound and bandage it with some vet wrap and sterile pads. Tweeze it every morning, and night, and change all the dressings when you do that too. She will heal up in about 3 weeks.
I hope this helps!! There was actually a show on discovery that explains all this too. I dont remember what it was called.

Quote:
Are you for real??? Gasoline on an OPEN wound??

I think that would be very painful and a very bad idea - if you read back through the entire thread, there are some very good suggestions made concerning the best way to safely and humanely remove maggots, as well as several posts concerning the myth that maggots in a wound are a good thing.

Glad to hear the wound is healing nicely - and hope she gets steady on her feet again really soon!

small droplet of gasoline will bring it out. Not very painful. That is what we use and it is very effective and hasn't harmed our animals nor made them show signs of pain.
It was just another idea that I know works.
I did not intend to give "bad advice".

It surprises me what some people know...even when it seems a little 'off' sometimes. I know of some remedies that people today would never use but they can and do save lives...so instead of judging someones good intentions perhaps maybe we can make a choice whehter we would try it or not...doesn't mean we have to get offensive

Just to be clear I haven't seen any maggots in over a week, I think I might be past that, but I'm going to keep looking and bathing for another week. I'm more concerned with the imbalance right now...

it's possible she is still just sore and inflamed.
also possible she had some sort of head injury tthat may take time to pass.

a little TLC, some vitamins and extra protein might help her heal faster.

I would take her to the vet. She may have something that healed up inside of the wound that is on a nerve or something. It could be an infection, that you cant see though. Bloodwork and a chem panel will give you results on infection and how hard her body is working against them if at all.

Quote:
Quite frankly, I can't afford a vet right now and even if I could, finding a vet here that will even SEE a chicken would be a joke to find. Chickens are for food and eggs, not "pet material". I don't think it's nerve damage since it is only a surface wound and not deep at all, I'm really thinking it's just sore and she's favoring the leg.

OK, it's been 2 weeks now, the wounds have healed to healthy pink skin, nothing open, oozing or bleeding. The 2 grown banties I have freerange all day and are harmless to her. It's warming up here now and I know she has to be so uncomfortable in the tub with little ventilation even though I have a fan on her to circulate the air, it's still warm air. I know she'd be more comfortable outside in the pen, I'm home all day and she's on;y 10 feet from the back door. I'm going to put her outside tomorrow afternoon and see how she does. I'll keep a close watch on her of course for any signs of distress. Theres nothing more I can do inside for her, now her feathers just need to come back in and hopefully she'll have a full tail but I really think she'll always have a bald spot on the top... Anyway, let's see how it goes and hope (or pray) for the best, I'll let you know of anything good or bad (or questionable) that may arise. Thanks again for ALL of th help and support you've given me and for love you guys have shown to this little hen.

Hi Elvisfan,

I would bet my life on it, that shes a cornish cross. Just look at her legs. I think the unsteadiness that you are talking about is also a cornish cross trait. They get too large and heavy for their legs and have a hard time moving. So they "waddle". Mine are at butchering age now, and do the same thing. They are spending alot of time on their bellies now that they are too heavy,

Good going! Im not too sure how your going to keep her alive though as she gets heavier. I'll certainly cross my fingers for you. You certainly have gone over and above for this girl.....

Debbie

She's got some legs don't she! LOL!!! I've had JCX before and I can't sat helping her was a waste but it's was kind of ironic, aint it?

I think we all go over and above for our birds, don't ?

Back
Top Bottom