Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbird

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
MN
Ok, maybe this is a small rant but whatever;

Ok, so I had been thinking about trying to get a job at the local feedstore, currently three of my friends work there already. I talked to one who's my best friend, last night on the phone. We were talking about this and that and he told me about one of the Cornish chicks that had a hurt leg, and how one of the employee's daughters put it in a seperate tank so it wouldn't get hurt anymore.

I asked him what they did with most of the wounded chicks (occasionally they ask my mom and I take take them because they know that we will help), and he said "the ones with like broken legs or whatever" they usually usually break their necks to do away with them. But then he told me that the one head guy felt bad doing it that way so he tried drowning them, which didn't work and they were still half alive so he ended up asking a different employee to snap the necks.

Now I realize that having a wounded chick wouldn't entice a buyer that much, but is it really called for? My friend said they aren't usually too mortally wounded, just need some extra TLC. If I get the job I will defintely be taking any wounded chicks off their hands though, is no bother to me.
Our feed store is quite helpful, and everyone is really nice, but I wish they would contact my mom or me when they have one like that, but they must think they can't be bothered to pick up the phone? I don't know.
roll.png

But does anyone else know of feedstores that do this? I know its probably the same for hatcheries too though..

So many people think chicks are disposable.........I hope you get the job so at least the ones you come across will have a chance.

Thank you for replying, I was thinking no one read this, lol. And you're right, alot of people do think that.

Having that said I do realize that culling is often a need, but when they are being sold at a busy store, with so many people that would be willing to help out, they could consider an alternative instead of culling.

Just noticed this thread... Even if they had a little area with discounted "wounded" chicks, I think they would sell! Some people would be willing to try to save them, and others would use them for food for snakes, birds of prey, etc. Not the best outcome, but better then tossing them in the garbage! Waste not, and all that.

it has nothing to do with 'thinking they are disposable'. it has to do with the 'practical'.

both methods described for putting an animal down are pretty quick and efficient.

if you feel strongly about the practice, why not ask to be put on a list of persons that they could call to take the injured chicks and raise them yourself. then you could help the situation and experience caring for injured chicks yourself. maybe get a feel for what is really involved.
smile.png

Quote:
Not to jump on you Miss Jayne, but if you reread my post, I state that both my mom and I have taken their hurt chicks to take care of when they've asked. We live 7 miles away and only get in there once a week (I sent in the application yesterday though) so I'm not there to see every move and offer to take every hurt chick.
And I said that I understand a need for culling and that it can look bad for business from certain standpoints if they have wounded chicks all over, but if they called me I would take it. And I have culled and butchered various animals myself, if they are no longer 'repairable', but I think that if its a broken leg, or something minor, they could spare it, help it (or ask someone else to), and let it live. It can be eaten when its big enough. I hope not everyone kills their chickens the second they get a minor injury.

And after talking to my friend again, it seems that the reason they 'need culling' is because of bad upkeep to begin with, he said one of the other employees was scooping out dirty sawdust into a large bin and 'accidently' scooped several chicks inside.

I think it is great that you are willing to take some of them on and get them well, or try to. I developed a level of trust with a couple employees and the mgr of one of our feed stores that gets chicks and they call me when they have one in need. Some you can save and some you can't. The ones that I 'rehab', I try to find safe and suitable homes for them and do not keep them unless they are bonded to a special needs one that becomes a resident on my property. I have a set up or several coops and protected runs that house varying needs. It gets kind of tricky sometimes juggling about. I have one right now whose broken leg just isn't healing well, he/she broke it is a bad place right at the ankle and it has been very difficult to splint. I may have to make a hard decision on that one should it not get well enough to ambulate without pain. Go for it and good luck, just try not to get too overwhelmed. Good for you!

I ended up not getting the job, instead they offered the job to my mother?

As an update, one employee had offered a lone duckling, and two broiler chicks since then. They were in some of the last batches of the season. My other friend that works there said they still do a horrid job of culling, and the kid that throws the chick in the dirty sawdust bin is no better with the baby rabbits they sell.
th.gif

I worked at a feed store...and in all honesty, it's more humane to put them down than to let people who know NOTHING about birds try to save them. ETA: I don't mean you specifically, just those that honestly know nothing about it.

It's also kinder to put them down than to allow them to suffer in a tank by themselves. PLUS there's the fact that the chick could have a disease from the parents, which you could bring to your flock. SO...the feedstore people are doing you and others a service by removing the potential pathogen carriers before disease is able to be spread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom