Wow ... Grrr... Sigh Rooster.

i'm sure every situation is different but if I had killed my little buddy when his hormones kicked in instead of taking time to love him then I would have lost out big time View attachment 1215572
It definitely depends on the bird. I spent months trying to rehabilitate my aggressive Sultan with frequent handling. It only made it worse, and I ended up having to sell him for slaughter. He was a real pet as a young bird. :(

I then changed my management issues and have had few issues since.

I locked up my last aggressive rooster in a small coop and run for 2 months. For those 2 months I fed and watered him twice a day. Was hoping he would start to see me as the bringer of good things and not the enemy. After 2 months I let him out with the flock again. Next day he attacked. He went to freezer camp that evening. Won't ever bother again.

Also, cockerels might as well be an entirely different animal from cocks. I don't think a bird is mature until two years of age. I currently have a flock leader that I trust as much as one can a bird with high testosterone levels. He is allowed to walk close to me and poke around by my boots. He is still required to move out of my way rather than I his, but he has earned trust. IMO if you want to spoil or baby your roosters and won't be swayed, wait until adulthood, at least. They're a bit saner then.

Sometimes there's a bird that is just not suited for being around people, period. I had an Australorp cockerel like that. Massive bird. He creeped me out... had snake eyes. He was a biter as a chick, and despite strict rules attacked me once. I had him to a point where I could turn my back on him, kinda, but other humans weren't respected by him. I put him in the soup pot. Maybe he could have been better as a cock, but I have enough birds (8 males right now after downsizing) that I can afford to be picky. Actually, I have to be, lol---poor hens would get torn up badly if I kept all of them.

Then you have the opposite end. I had an OEGB cockerel once that was a total pet. He refused to un-tame even when I tried to keep moving him out of my space. At about a year of age, I gave up and let him be friendly. He'd ride around on arms and eat cotton candy. He loved it, for some reason---no other birds did. He wasn't allowed to have much but he'd beg and beg for it.

He died this spring in a dog attack, but he never ever put even a toe wrong with me or the kids.

Last edited:
I have had great roosters that were great pets. When they got older though, they usually start acting aggressive. It's simple to stop if you train them. Whenever they attack you, you grab at them, and try to catch it. If you do catch it, carry him around for a while. If not, chase him around until he stops jumping sideways and gets scared. Do it a few times, and they will learn not to attack you. This has worked for me on several occasions. Now, if you train him not to attack you, and he never bothers you, if your somebody else goes in there, like a family member, that rooster will attack. It shows how smart they are. So your husband would have to do that too. Now this works if you have a rooster you want to keep, but if you have three, you might as well get rid of two, because that's a lot of roosters.

Also, even if the rooster isn't attacking you, but is close, strutting around, and pecking on the ground while they eye you, this is also a time when you lunge at them, and keep them in their place. Roosters do that when they are getting ready to attack, or are trying to dominant you.

I have had great roosters that were great pets. When they got older though, they usually start acting aggressive. It's simple to stop if you train them. Whenever they attack you, you grab at them, and try to catch it. If you do catch it, carry him around for a while. If not, chase him around until he stops jumping sideways and gets scared. Do it a few times, and they will learn not to attack you. This has worked for me on several occasions. Now, if you train him not to attack you, and he never bothers you, if your somebody else goes in there, like a family member, that rooster will attack. It shows how smart they are. So your husband would have to do that too. Now this works if you have a rooster you want to keep, but if you have three, you might as well get rid of two, because that's a lot of roosters.
See, that's what I don't want. My roosters must be good with people in general, hence the strict training from sexual maturity. I have small children that are right at the perfect level for a rooster's spurs to do some serious damage.

Also, even if the rooster isn't attacking you, but is close, strutting around, and pecking on the ground while they eye you, this is also a time when you lunge at them, and keep them in their place. Roosters do that when they are getting ready to attack, or are trying to dominant you.
Good point, I forgot to mention that. Roosters give a lot of warning (usually) before they attack.

See, that's what I don't want. My roosters must be good with people in general, hence the strict training from sexual maturity. I have small children that are right at the perfect level for a rooster's spurs to do some serious damage.
Good point. You would have to keep careful watch with young children. So in that case you might just want to cull.

i'm sure every situation is different but if I had killed my little buddy when his hormones kicked in instead of taking time to love him then I would have lost out big time View attachment 1215572
I love this photo!!

Henry the Rooster is VERY rooster, and when he began to sexually mature and would attack my ankles and bite hard whenever I entered their home space, I was sad and worried. I became fearful of him. But one day I made a decision to embrace everything about him that can make roosters challenging. I studied his behavior, I walked toward him when he would start to take steps in an effort to attack, I always stood my ground, and I carefully learned when and why he bites.

It's all 100% predictable, but the key is loving him so much you're willing to invest some time just sitting down and quietly observing him. You'll begin to notice patterns, and you'll see some unexpectedly sweet things, too. Soft happy chirps when he discovers a patch of hidden grass under the leaves or insects the others haven't seen yet; protective chatter when you take something from his chicken run or coop that he identifies as his; and the shear number of hours each day he's just another chicken in the yard, foraging for nibbles.

Roosters are darling, vivacious creatures. If you're willing to give him a chance, just sit and watch him. Learn his sounds. Toss some greens into their run and observe his movements relative to the others and the sounds he makes. Don't grab food bowls or the water dish when he's next to you. I've learned Henry so well I know when I can do this safely, but sometimes I forget and he lunges and bites.

Chickens are incredibly intelligent. They remember experiences and people. He'll gradually learn you're not to be feared and that you don't fear him. His instincts will still be there, but over time as he matures the frequency of attacks will lessen, especially as you learn him and stand your ground.

I was very concerned at first, and the bites are painful. But once I calmed down and committed myself fully to mastering my rooster, my interactions with him have significantly improved.

Some day you'll want to learn how to pick him up. Different situations will necessitate knowing how to do that. But roosters really shouldn't be viewed as pets, even though you can love on them as dear companions. I remember the day I decided I needed to know how to do this. I hesitated and he charged. I tried again and he bit me. Then I figured it out, grabbed Henry, and he chirped softly like a little baby.

It's proven useful, but even now I have to be careful when I pick him up, and I've had to do this multiple times a day for three months, even since he was attacked by a coyote.

What you're feeling and experiencing is totally normal. I started using a Mr. LongArm (fluffy blue head on one end to remove spider webs) to corral the chickens when they're free ranging and to keep Henry at a distance when putting the dogs in their yard. He goes after them because he sees them as threats to his flock. Mr. LongArm is always where I can get at it quickly.

I'm rambling because I'm hungry. Time for a late breakfast. Hang in there, and I hope this helps!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom