Wow ... Grrr... Sigh Rooster.

MzGina

Songster
Oct 19, 2017
Northwest Florida
I ended up with 3 Barred Rock Roosters ( learned my straight run lesson) so hubby is making a pen for each of them... well this morning I went to coop as I heard a lot noise when I walked in the middle sized rooster attacked me twice!! I am so upset. Hubby says he has to go... I agree but I guess I learned another lesson Roosters are not pets???!!! ( I keep a small stick in the coop to help shoo them back when I dont want them to come out, I am ashamed to say I swung that stick at him he was coming at me .. I feel so bad and ashamed for that) Now to decide how he has to go... sigh

I am in my coop and handling the flock 3 to 5 times a day... except for him and the other cockerals they will not let me. I have tried and about a month I gave up .. still bring them treats and handle the others... this just came out of no where. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and cant afford to be clawed by a pet... oh my goodness the thought of the infection. I feel bad and have been very upset but hubby said cant bite the hand that feeds you. I am going to have him handle it. I think he is going to end up at freezer camp...Ugh hopefully the OTHER freezer I dont want to see it. This is stressful! I feel betrayed LOL.
i'm sure every situation is different but if I had killed my little buddy when his hormones kicked in instead of taking time to love him then I would have lost out big time
IMG_1979.JPG

I actually hope for lots of cockerels when I hatch, so we can put them in the freezer. There is nothing wrong with processing an aggressive cockerel. I know it's hard, and not for everyone. My thought is, I put in the time and money to raise that bird, I'll be darned if I'm going to give that good meat away to someone else. I also know that if I process him, he will die as quick and humane a death as possible. He will not be mistreated. He will have had a good life up until that one last moment, and that is so swift that he doesn't know what happened.

But if you can't process him, your next best thing is to give him to someone who would appreciate a fresh chicken dinner.

I am in my coop and handling the flock 3 to 5 times a day... except for him and the other cockerals they will not let me. I have tried and about a month I gave up .. still bring them treats and handle the others... this just came out of no where. I am an insulin dependent diabetic and cant afford to be clawed by a pet... oh my goodness the thought of the infection. I feel bad and have been very upset but hubby said cant bite the hand that feeds you. I am going to have him handle it. I think he is going to end up at freezer camp...Ugh hopefully the OTHER freezer I dont want to see it. This is stressful! I feel betrayed LOL.
:hugs Sorry. I have never had luck with "taming and hugging" my roosters. They went bad at a bit over a year old. They're testosterone fueled and therefore unpredictable just like any other male animal.

For future reference... keep them about 5' away from you at all times, shoo them away if they get closer than that for any reason. That should be standard protocol for any rooster. Give them a good kick if they attack. Don't chase, just get him out of your space and stop pressuring him then. You don't want it to spiral into fear based aggression.

I currently have a Svarthona cock that has always been, shall I say, high risk. I had been lax with keeping him away, but I realised that he would become aggressive soon if I didn't do something. I quit letting him around and kept him even farther away than the average bird, not letting him put a toe too close to me, ever. I wanted him running as fast as his chicken legs could take him if I got close. It worked, and he is now a mature and respectful cockbird. I have dropped back my 'personal space' zone to just a few feet with him and he is well-behaved with it.

Last edited:
20160326_132010.jpg

Butter, checking his tweets after a guest appearance at Easter time.

This guy was a sweetheart his entire life (a Serama, though a rather big one). Never the least sign of aggression from him; you could just walk over and pick him up and he was perfectly content. I have another Serama that I never will be able to trust. Every once in a while, he is going to come after me. I've tried being gentle, I've tried roughing him up (just how rough can you be with a small bird that you could kill without even trying?!), but it makes no difference in the long run. He'll give me space for a while, but sooner or later, he's going to try it again.

Some birds may "come around" with handling, but I wouldn't count on it. :idunno

Last edited:
Good point, I forgot to mention that. Roosters give a lot of warning (usually) before they attack.
Unfortunately, those signs may not be recognized by inexperienced chicken keepers. They may think it's "cute" when that "friendly rooster" follows them everywhere they go, when really that bird is just biding his time, waiting for the chance to flog or spur them.

I love this photo!!

Henry the Rooster is VERY rooster, and when he began to sexually mature and would attack my ankles and bite hard whenever I entered their home space, I was sad and worried. I became fearful of him. But one day I made a decision to embrace everything about him that can make roosters challenging. I studied his behavior, I walked toward him when he would start to take steps in an effort to attack, I always stood my ground, and I carefully learned when and why he bites.

It's all 100% predictable, but the key is loving him so much you're willing to invest some time just sitting down and quietly observing him. You'll begin to notice patterns, and you'll see some unexpectedly sweet things, too. Soft happy chirps when he discovers a patch of hidden grass under the leaves or insects the others haven't seen yet; protective chatter when you take something from his chicken run or coop that he identifies as his; and the shear number of hours each day he's just another chicken in the yard, foraging for nibbles.

Roosters are darling, vivacious creatures. If you're willing to give him a chance, just sit and watch him. Learn his sounds. Toss some greens into their run and observe his movements relative to the others and the sounds he makes. Don't grab food bowls or the water dish when he's next to you. I've learned Henry so well I know when I can do this safely, but sometimes I forget and he lunges and bites.

Chickens are incredibly intelligent. They remember experiences and people. He'll gradually learn you're not to be feared and that you don't fear him. His instincts will still be there, but over time as he matures the frequency of attacks will lessen, especially as you learn him and stand your ground.

I was very concerned at first, and the bites are painful. But once I calmed down and committed myself fully to mastering my rooster, my interactions with him have significantly improved.

Some day you'll want to learn how to pick him up. Different situations will necessitate knowing how to do that. But roosters really shouldn't be viewed as pets, even though you can love on them as dear companions. I remember the day I decided I needed to know how to do this. I hesitated and he charged. I tried again and he bit me. Then I figured it out, grabbed Henry, and he chirped softly like a little baby.

It's proven useful, but even now I have to be careful when I pick him up, and I've had to do this multiple times a day for three months, even since he was attacked by a coyote.

What you're feeling and experiencing is totally normal. I started using a Mr. LongArm (fluffy blue head on one end to remove spider webs) to corral the chickens when they're free ranging and to keep Henry at a distance when putting the dogs in their yard. He goes after them because he sees them as threats to his flock. Mr. LongArm is always where I can get at it quickly.

I'm rambling because I'm hungry. Time for a late breakfast. Hang in there, and I hope this helps!!
Sounds to me like Henry has you trained, rather than the other way around. If you had him trained, you would be able to grab water or food dishes, one of the hens, or do anything else you please no matter where that bird is.

OP, you're right - you cannot take the chance of a puncture wound from a rooster's spurs. I think it's wise to get rid of this bird.

On the contrary.

Come spend a day with me and see for yourself.

There's your school of thought, and then there's mine. He rarely bites anymore, partly because he is maturing, but mostly because I have learned how to work with him.

Be careful imposing your own experience with roosters as the law.
I haven't had a rooster bite, flog or try to spur me in years. See above post.

I'm not trying to "impose my experience as law". Just pointing out that more often than not, hugging and cuddling a rooster (as in, adult bird of mating age) is not going to make a tame bird that you can fully trust. You said that yourself when you pointed out that yours still bites you.

I must be mean because I don't feel any need to train roosters. They attack me, they're gone. There are an abundance of roosters and some will never even think to attack you. I do approach them with confidence, never turn my back on them, and keep them out of my space. I feel I'm doing my part to not provoke them. They do it anyway, I'm not cuddling them into kindness. I have raised soooooo many dang roosters at this point and I'm very happy with who I have as breeders with my hens. Good looking boys who keep away from me and are sweet to their ladies.

Back
Top Bottom