Wow ... Grrr... Sigh Rooster.

It took me a while to figure out that I need to start training my cockerels as soon as I figured out they were males. No more picking up and holding as babies, and as they grow, I get n their space, make them move away farm me, and in general let them know I am the boss. Haven't had a problem since. If I get a stupid one that can't figure it out, he'll be invited to the house for supper.
I currently have a friend with a young girl and a flock of EEs that she adores. The cockerel is getting disrespectful and she is "hugging him more to try and make him nice". :oops: I am trying to find a nice way to say that they are about to have their hearts broken. Doesn't make it easier that the cockerel has been raised with same-age pullets... I wouldn't have that start to chicken-keeping for anything. Getting adult birds is much easier from a flock dynamics and aggression standpoint.

I must be mean because I don't feel any need to train roosters. They attack me, they're gone. There are an abundance of roosters and some will never even think to attack you. I do approach them with confidence, never turn my back on them, and keep them out of my space. I feel I'm doing my part to not provoke them. They do it anyway, I'm not cuddling them into kindness. I have raised soooooo many dang roosters at this point and I'm very happy with who I have as breeders with my hens. Good looking boys who keep away from me and are sweet to their ladies.

I must be mean because I don't feel any need to train roosters. They attack me, they're gone. There are an abundance of roosters and some will never even think to attack you. I do approach them with confidence, never turn my back on them, and keep them out of my space. I feel I'm doing my part to not provoke them. They do it anyway, I'm not cuddling them into kindness. I have raised soooooo many dang roosters at this point and I'm very happy with who I have as breeders with my hens. Good looking boys who keep away from me and are sweet to their ladies.
:goodpost:

Keeping male birds is a highly controversial topic, and many people have had dead opposite results with same approach. Kinda like asking what the best way to cook a chicken is---ask two chicken keepers, you get three different answers!

I haven't had a rooster bite, flog or try to spur me in years. See above post.

I'm not trying to "impose my experience as law". Just pointing out that more often than not, hugging and cuddling a rooster (as in, adult bird of mating age) is not going to make a tame bird that you can fully trust. You said that yourself when you pointed out that yours still bites you.
I never said I hug and cuddle my rooster. What I did was learn how to physically handle him, which has paid off in spades.

Henry has spent almost half his life in recovery from a coyote attack.

My contact and daily interactions with him are far more than it would have been had he not been wounded. Hence more situations that led to bites.

I currently have a friend with a young girl and a flock of EEs that she adores. The cockerel is getting disrespectful and she is "hugging him more to try and make him nice". :oops: I am trying to find a nice way to say that they are about to have their hearts broken. Doesn't make it easier that the cockerel has been raised with same-age pullets... I wouldn't have that start to chicken-keeping for anything. Getting adult birds is much easier from a flock dynamics and aggression standpoint.
I hope they get things figured out before he goes from "disrespectful" to flat-out aggression....

I am giving some thought to my start over next spring (due to heavy predator issues this summer, I am currently chickenless). I'm thinking of trying to get half a dozen adult birds, plus some straight run day olds. When I figure out which cockerel I want to keep, introduce him to the adults when he's old enough to fend for himself (or gets to randy for the pullets) and let them teach him some manners.

There is nothing "mean" about that. We al have our own level of tolerance. Some of us just have less than others. :) I have a 2-year old granddaughter that loves to go see the chickens. I can't have a rooster I need to worry about. My granddaughter's safety comes before any chicken.

I have raised 40-roosters, many of which have landed in freezer camp.

I hold a standard and ALL roosters must pass or...

I had my top rooster that respected me and I him... He was to keep his distance, I wouldn't hold him (unless necessary), etc.

After I established my one rooster I started something I called "rooster watching."

When I would bring in new roosters I would separate all hens, and put my top roo in with the others... My top roo was very gentle and not a fighter so it worked perfectly for him to teach the other guys.

They would stay in rooster watch for a couple weeks to see how I interacted with Top roo, I found this worked very well... Roosters pay very close attention to things around them and with no hens to distract they could focus on me and top roo.

After being in rooster watch for 3-weeks I would see which roos learned there lesson, ALL that didn't go to the freezer.

I found 90% worked fine for me.

I also have 8-siblings so I won't take any risks with them and roosters.

Like many said he's aggressive I would freezer him.

I guess it is partly my fault. I turned my back on him to check the nesting boxes. Lesson learned. Inexperienced chicken keeper or not.. as for me and my coop respect will be given both ways ... I went back in the coop with my hubby so I could regain my confidence because quite frankly I about layed an egg when he came at me. Not going to lie I was a little shook. Not sure if I mentioned this before ... but after i swatted the stick at him he went to the ground .. the other 2 cockerals kinda attacked him..pecking him and what seemed to be pushing him...he is in a large dog crate now until we decide what his fate is. I am having a hard time with culling him for being what he is. So perhaps rehoming with the disclaimer he is a butthole. Hubby thinks I shouldnt stress over finding him a home and just invite him to/for dinner..The saga of Rodney continues..

When I was pregnant with my daughter, the top rooster in my bantam Cochin flock occasionally tried to attack me. Having my hands full with the gate and feed bucket, I reacted instinctively and kicked him away - getting hit by such a tiny ball of feathers and fury was more funny than frightening. The first few times it happened, I was puzzled; I'd had him for a couple of years, and he had always behaved before. Particularly since this seemed to happen on random days; it just didn't make sense. Finally, it hit me. I had a red corduroy maternity dress that I sometimes wore, and apparently, the sight of that much red was more than this bird could stand. The days he was a problem were the days I wore that dress. After a few unscheduled flights (courtesy of my muck boots) he learned that attacking me from the front was not a smart move, but that didn't stop him from trying. I'd go into the pen, and he'd try to maneuver around to come at me from the rear. Since he was white, it was easy to keep track of him, and I'd watch him out of the corner of my eye as he slunk stealthily towards an attack position. I'd let him get maybe ten or fifteen feet away, turn and face him, and say, "just what do you think you are doing?" The change in his body language was comical. "Who, me? I'm not doing anything. Not me, nope, don't know what you're talking about; totally not doing anything here," as he walked away in a different direction.

Back
Top Bottom