Wow ... Grrr... Sigh Rooster.

I have had great roosters that were great pets. When they got older though, they usually start acting aggressive. It's simple to stop if you train them. Whenever they attack you, you grab at them, and try to catch it. If you do catch it, carry him around for a while. If not, chase him around until he stops jumping sideways and gets scared. Do it a few times, and they will learn not to attack you. This has worked for me on several occasions. Now, if you train him not to attack you, and he never bothers you, if your somebody else goes in there, like a family member, that rooster will attack. It shows how smart they are. So your husband would have to do that too. Now this works if you have a rooster you want to keep, but if you have three, you might as well get rid of two, because that's a lot of roosters.

Also, even if the rooster isn't attacking you, but is close, strutting around, and pecking on the ground while they eye you, this is also a time when you lunge at them, and keep them in their place. Roosters do that when they are getting ready to attack, or are trying to dominant you.

See, that's what I don't want. My roosters must be good with people in general, hence the strict training from sexual maturity. I have small children that are right at the perfect level for a rooster's spurs to do some serious damage.
Good point. You would have to keep careful watch with young children. So in that case you might just want to cull.

Unfortunately, those signs may not be recognized by inexperienced chicken keepers. They may think it's "cute" when that "friendly rooster" follows them everywhere they go, when really that bird is just biding his time, waiting for the chance to flog or spur them.
LOL

Unfortunately, those signs may not be recognized by inexperienced chicken keepers. They may think it's "cute" when that "friendly rooster" follows them everywhere they go, when really that bird is just biding his time, waiting for the chance to flog or spur them.
True, that. I have seen many that have their roosters go bad by the simple fact they are handling them entirely incorrectly. I feel bad for the birds and the owners.

Sounds to me like Henry has you trained, rather than the other way around. If you had him trained, you would be able to grab water or food dishes, one of the hens, or do anything else you please no matter where that bird is.

OP, you're right - you cannot take the chance of a puncture wound from a rooster's spurs. I think it's wise to get rid of this bird.
On the contrary.

Come spend a day with me and see for yourself.

There's your school of thought, and then there's mine. He rarely bites anymore, partly because he is maturing, but mostly because I have learned how to work with him.

Be careful imposing your own experience with roosters as the law.

It took me a while to figure out that I need to start training my cockerels as soon as I figured out they were males. No more picking up and holding as babies, and as they grow, I get n their space, make them move away farm me, and in general let them know I am the boss. Haven't had a problem since. If I get a stupid one that can't figure it out, he'll be invited to the house for supper.
I currently have a friend with a young girl and a flock of EEs that she adores. The cockerel is getting disrespectful and she is "hugging him more to try and make him nice". :oops: I am trying to find a nice way to say that they are about to have their hearts broken. Doesn't make it easier that the cockerel has been raised with same-age pullets... I wouldn't have that start to chicken-keeping for anything. Getting adult birds is much easier from a flock dynamics and aggression standpoint.

I currently have a friend with a young girl and a flock of EEs that she adores. The cockerel is getting disrespectful and she is "hugging him more to try and make him nice". :oops: I am trying to find a nice way to say that they are about to have their hearts broken. Doesn't make it easier that the cockerel has been raised with same-age pullets... I wouldn't have that start to chicken-keeping for anything. Getting adult birds is much easier from a flock dynamics and aggression standpoint.
I hope they get things figured out before he goes from "disrespectful" to flat-out aggression....

I am giving some thought to my start over next spring (due to heavy predator issues this summer, I am currently chickenless). I'm thinking of trying to get half a dozen adult birds, plus some straight run day olds. When I figure out which cockerel I want to keep, introduce him to the adults when he's old enough to fend for himself (or gets to randy for the pullets) and let them teach him some manners.

I must be mean because I don't feel any need to train roosters. They attack me, they're gone. There are an abundance of roosters and some will never even think to attack you. I do approach them with confidence, never turn my back on them, and keep them out of my space. I feel I'm doing my part to not provoke them. They do it anyway, I'm not cuddling them into kindness. I have raised soooooo many dang roosters at this point and I'm very happy with who I have as breeders with my hens. Good looking boys who keep away from me and are sweet to their ladies.
There is nothing "mean" about that. We al have our own level of tolerance. Some of us just have less than others. :) I have a 2-year old granddaughter that loves to go see the chickens. I can't have a rooster I need to worry about. My granddaughter's safety comes before any chicken.

I guess it is partly my fault. I turned my back on him to check the nesting boxes. Lesson learned. Inexperienced chicken keeper or not.. as for me and my coop respect will be given both ways ... I went back in the coop with my hubby so I could regain my confidence because quite frankly I about layed an egg when he came at me. Not going to lie I was a little shook. Not sure if I mentioned this before ... but after i swatted the stick at him he went to the ground .. the other 2 cockerals kinda attacked him..pecking him and what seemed to be pushing him...he is in a large dog crate now until we decide what his fate is. I am having a hard time with culling him for being what he is. So perhaps rehoming with the disclaimer he is a butthole. Hubby thinks I shouldnt stress over finding him a home and just invite him to/for dinner..The saga of Rodney continues..

Back
Top Bottom