1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WOW Huge egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by encorepistol, Jan 16, 2010.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Went out today feeding and watering and gathering what eggs are laid and couldn't believe the size of this egg one of my Ameraucanas laid. It's at least as big as a turkey egg and even a shade of blue compared to some of the greener shade of eggs I've been getting. [​IMG]
    There are 2 brown wyandotte eggs an ameraucana egg and a bantam cochin in the pic to compare.

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    could be a double yolker. My GLW did that a couple of times, the eggs were sooooo big

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    You have enough now to invite peoplle over ! Hahah Thats a bigg egg!

4. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    looks like a good double yolker...mine gave me about 3 when she first started laying. =0)

5. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    ya probably is a double yolker I've had several of those just never this big! Ill be cracking it open this evening mm mm mm!

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Here is my HUGE egg for today....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My son went out this morning and came in with his hands full. He found this huge egg with three other normal sized ones out of our girls. The pictures are of the biggee, a normal and a pullet egg our of Australorp who just started laying this week.
    THEN we got 6 out of 6 for the first time. We obviously have good winter layers, they didn't lay for beans in the summer or fall, but now we have more eggs than we know what to do with. But that is just fine with me.

7. encorepistol

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    must be in the air! lol

8. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Quote:I totally agree! Here is a pic of our giant egg from our EE laid yesterday! Poor thing it was her second egg. The first one is to the left of the giant. Olive and spotted!? Really cool looking eggs! The others are the eggs we got today from our other EE on the far left, barred rock on the right of the giant and a buff orp egg on the far right. Strange day for big eggs lol.

[​IMG]

ETA Our EE took a day off yesterday and then laid another giant egg the same size as her first big one. Poor girl lol. She must just lay big eggs for the time being.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    Here is my huge egg for the day. The small one is an x-large 2.5oz (72g) The big one is 3.25oz (94g)

[​IMG]

10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yah! Big eggs! Congrats! Here's mine from like a week or so ago.

That's a quarter next to that egg. I weighed 3.6 oz. I had to put it in a bowl because it wouldn't fit in the carton. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by