Writing article! Need your brooder photos!

Quick question, exactly how does it work? Is it like a heating plate? Interested in using it for my heat section. :D
It works by insulation. The body heat of the chicks supplies all the heat.

The wool strips hang from holes in the top of the box to just above the floor. The strips need to drape over their backs a little when they are sleeping but not reach the floor (evidently they can get tangled in the strips if the strips are too long). It helps to have wide enough strips. Mine are about an inch wide, if I remember right. I just kept cutting the pieces of shawl in half or in thirds until they seemed about right. I wanted them small enough to be flexible and for the chicks to find each other in the box but large enough to not tangle too easily and to make fewer holes to tie the strips into.

The downside to the system is it takes more time and attention at first because it isn't instant warmth. The chicks need to be encouraged to go into it and stay in it long enough for some warmth to build up. Eventually, they learn how it works - it took mine several days. I think how long it takes will vary a lot. Mine were in a space at room temperature to start with.

Another potential downside is it may restricts the number of chicks you can raise in one brooder. Too many chicks and they can pile up and possibly smother each other. That is a concern in other systems but probably more so in this one. I've heard it needs a minimum number to work. I'm not sure about that because I observed every number going in at a time to warm up. I had 11.

This spring I plan to start several batches of chicks for a friend and will try different numbers and different ambient temperatures.

Thank you all so far! I'm adding your photos now, the article is finished! I would still love some photos of the following-

Cookie sheet method for clean waterers and feeders
Cookie sheet method combined with a cookie drying rack
The bucket feeder method
Perches
Heating plates in use
Heat lamps in use (I know we all have some of those)
Heating pad in use
Watermelon box brooder
Chicks on different types of bedding, or brooders setup with different bedding.

If anyone needs photos of the "methods" I posted above, I'd be happy to add a Google photo showing what I mean. Thanks so much for the help! Excited to post this article.
Here is Mama Heating Pad being enjoyed by my Silkie chicks….temps outside were in the 30s.
4BDBF481-8C84-4605-BE25-19FD8B4766C6.jpeg

The waterer I use for very young chicks.
E8910E18-028E-4FF3-8B37-2EB38EAF9B5D.jpeg

It works by insulation. The body heat of the chicks supplies all the heat.

The wool strips hang from holes in the top of the box to just above the floor. The strips need to drape over their backs a little when they are sleeping but not reach the floor (evidently they can get tangled in the strips if the strips are too long). It helps to have wide enough strips. Mine are about an inch wide, if I remember right. I just kept cutting the pieces of shawl in half or in thirds until they seemed about right. I wanted them small enough to be flexible and for the chicks to find each other in the box but large enough to not tangle too easily and to make fewer holes to tie the strips into.

The downside to the system is it takes more time and attention at first because it isn't instant warmth. The chicks need to be encouraged to go into it and stay in it long enough for some warmth to build up. Eventually, they learn how it works - it took mine several days. I think how long it takes will vary a lot. Mine were in a space at room temperature to start with.

Another potential downside is it may restricts the number of chicks you can raise in one brooder. Too many chicks and they can pile up and possibly smother each other. That is a concern in other systems but probably more so in this one. I've heard it needs a minimum number to work. I'm not sure about that because I observed every number going in at a time to warm up. I had 11.

This spring I plan to start several batches of chicks for a friend and will try different numbers and different ambient temperatures.
That is really neat! Thanks for posting! Definitely adding this to my article. :D

Back
Top Bottom