Wry neck adult hen how long for response after meds. Serious upside down head 3,4 days

I didn’t see video sorry and worried about the tube feeding don’t know how
But need to figure something out
Either she’s lost interest in eating because it’s so hard for her or she’s just totally given up
I’ve got her propped up in a box so her head is above heart
Please post video again

Your two threads on this subject have now been combined. You have likely missed some comments. I suggest you go back to the beginning and read through your thread. All of the information you have been seeking is here in this thread.
I would like instructions on tube feeding please

Can anyone please give instructions ontube feeding, especially getting a tube down safely into a hen with neck that writhes around like a snake

I currently am treating an 8 year old silkie hen appearing to have wry neck symptoms.

We are on day 6. She is doing a behavior that looks like preening, with neck stretched down and around her body, bobbing head, sometimes under her wing, and sometimes down under between her legs. Left alone, she walks backwards and doesn't seem to be able to lift her head voluntarily. She is completely unable to eat or drink on her own. However, yesterday, she seemed to hold her head up and be standing on her feet for a few moments on a couple of occasions. For that slight but hopeful improvement, I will be continuing the following regiment:

Every morning, weight her to ensure maintaining weight.

I am tube-feeding baby bird formula 3x a day at 30-35 ml each feeding. This is maintaining her weight (she's a small and very old bird, so may not eat as much as others). Her crop is emptying between feedings and at night and she doesn't seem to struggle with regurgitating (I hold her head up gently, while letting her adjust herself and swallow after the tube feeding).

At one of the feedings, I replace part of the water for the formula with a small bantam egg, whisked completely. I add some drops of straight vitamin E oil to this feeding.

I am watching for improvement or decline (or complete lack of improvement), weight stability, and crop issues. Her poops are normal, so I am feeling like she is nutritionally getting what she needs.

There are lots of youtube videos on tube feeding. Most feed/country stores carry tubes and syringes.

Back
Top Bottom