Wry neck adult hen how long for response after meds. Serious upside down head 3,4 days

I think it's somewhat promising that she can make her head straight to eat and drink. I have been there with favorite chicken twice. one seemed to recuperate then went downhill. I locked myself in the bathroom and cried my eyes out. The 2nd one seemed to have gotten pecked on the head, a silkie. He always had a great appetite . After about a week he got better and I put him back out with some gentle hens. Then he died from an attack from a wild animal. How sad!!! I have also had a few chicks that flipped their head over and humanely I euthanized them right away

It can take up to a couple of weeks to see improvement. I had a bird that was isolated for about 6 weeks with wry neck (though it took weeks to diagnose), and roughly the last 2 weeks of isolation she was getting vit E and B and selenium, before she was able to maintain enough balance to be allowed back with the flock.

She had other neurological and physical defects but did at least recover enough from that episode to live with the flock for another year or two before her other issues compounded enough that she had to be culled.

How old is she? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? I would recommend feeding her moist food and water and scrambled egg, plus the vitamins (E 400 IU) and 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex) for at least 2 weeks. Many birds get better, but some don’t. Are you feeding a balanced chicken feed? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?
Born 25 may 2021 yes vaxxed Mareks. No new birds. Feeding layer crumble, moistened, shelled sunflower seeds

MY QUESTION IS is what is the longest time in days before I see significant improvement giving her Vit E, selenium and B vitamins, feeding her 4x a day. We’re now starting 4th day. Head is still upside down on the ground.

She ate the second day on her own. After that I have to sort of hold her head as vertically as possible and start her by putting bit of food on my fingurec

Wow So was her head upside down on the ground that first four weeks before you started the last two weeks with treatment?
Mine was a different looking case than what most people identify as wry neck, which is why I didn't realize it was wry neck until others on here helped diagnose it. If I recall, instead of just her head twisting, she was completely unable to balance herself and had her head, neck and chest on the ground while her tail was stuck in the air. I assumed it was some unknown neurological issue and gave her vit B but she didn't show improvement until vit E and selenium were added to the mix after 4 weeks.

I was just rereading your first thread about your hen. You can continue that thread with updates if you wish. Have you tried feeding as in the video I posted? Tube feeding temporarily may be something that you might want to learn.

Wryneck
Please advise how much food and water I can try to syringe on top tongue or what??? Please
Don’t know how long she can survive
When I try to feed holding neck she’s writhing all over days 6&7
Ate by herself day 5
Days 1-4 she ate herself when I held her writhing neck first few days
Now refusing
I give her Vit E, selenium, B vits 2x Adam by for squeezing gel tab and little bit others in syringe

I was just rereading your first thread about your hen. You can continue that thread with updates if you wish. Have you tried feeding as in the video I posted? Tube feeding temporarily may be something that you might want to learn.
I didn’t see video sorry and worried about the tube feeding don’t know how
But need to figure something out
Either she’s lost interest in eating because it’s so hard for her or she’s just totally given up
I’ve got her propped up in a box so her head is above heart

Back
Top Bottom