Wry Neck - Need advice Vit E not fixing it

the_peep_squad

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
My 4mo Satin rooster was acting weird a couple of weeks ago like walking in circles and isolating from the rest if the flock (3 hens and 4 roosters). We trimmed the feathers over his eyes and that helped alot but he still walked in circles occasionally. On weds, after I rehomed 3 of the other roosters, he started showing signs of wry neck. I live in the boonies so I got a bottle of vit e gel caps at the closest store and gave him 400iu twice a day. On Sunday he was way worse. His neck was completely under his body and he was flailing around. I brought him inside. I drove an hour to TC and got Vit E paste w/selenium and red cell. I gave him a pea size amount of vit e 3x a day. We made a paste using his normal feed, scrambled egg, cranberry juice (at the advice of his breeder) and 4 drops of red cell. This made a days worth of food. We had to carefully hold the cup to feed him. My Monday Am he was eating on his own. By Monday night he was 75% better, holding his head up on his own and eating off the ground like a normal chicken.

Unfortunately by Tuesday morning he was worse. Not as bad as Sunday but unable to keep his head up anymore. He can stand and walk a little, and can peck at the ground and eat on his own but the wry neck is very obvious.

He was still the same today, Wednesday. My research said that a B1 deficiency could also help but I didn't find a dosage. On BYC I saw a post about prednisone.

Does any have advice? What kind of b vitamin do you recommend? Dosage? Would prednisone help? Dosage? I am lucky because I actually have prednisone prescribed to me for allergic reactions.

I was going to drive into town to get the vitamins tomorrow.

I had a silkie that had a neurological issue where he would bop his head back and forth when he was stressed. The kind people on here recommended vitamin E and a b complex. I bought the liquid form off Amazon and gave him one drop every day twice a day. After about a month I cut it back to once a day. He was on this medicine until he got fed up with it, and his bopping stopped. He hasn’t bopped since but the name stuck.
I’m no expert but I think @Eggcessive is the person to tag for things like this.

With wry neck, I would use 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex and 400 IU of vitamin E to treat the wry neck. A small amount of scrambled egg bits will also supply some selenium. Wry neck can be a result of head or neck injury, vitamin B1 or E deficiency, and can also occur in certain diseases that affect the brain, such as Mareks, Newcastles, and others. No one can tell you if the vitamin treatment will help or how long it might take, but I would treat for at least 2 weeks to see if it helps.

With wry neck, I would use 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex and 400 IU of vitamin E to treat the wry neck. A small amount of scrambled egg bits will also supply some selenium. Wry neck can be a result of head or neck injury, vitamin B1 or E deficiency, and can also occur in certain diseases that affect the brain, such as Mareks, Newcastles, and others. No one can tell you if the vitamin treatment will help or how long it might take, but I would treat for at least 2 weeks to see if it helps.
I dont think it's Mareks because there are no other symptoms and none of the others are having issues.

Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks. The walking in circles is also a sign of wry neck. Make sure that your feed is fresh dated, and that you are feeding a complete balanced chicken feed. It sounds like he could have suffered an injury with multiple cockerels around.

My feed us less than 3 months old. I have a mix of all flock, feather fixer and gamebird starter for 23% protein. They are allowed to free range about 3 hrs a day.

We started giving him Bcomplex as well as vit e gel. He would get better for a day and then regress for 3-4 days. At the two week mark, he stopped eating and we made plans to cull. The day came and he was better. We decided to hold off just in cass, but had to put him in the coop due to a landlord inspection. House chickens are not allowed, lol. He stayed better. Its been almost two weeks and he seems fine. We give him extra vitamins every couple of days but everything seems fine.

We started giving him Bcomplex as well as vit e gel. He would get better for a day and then regress for 3-4 days. At the two week mark, he stopped eating and we made plans to cull. The day came and he was better. We decided to hold off just in cass, but had to put him in the coop due to a landlord inspection. House chickens are not allowed, lol. He stayed better. Its been almost two weeks and he seems fine. We give him extra vitamins every couple of days but everything seems fine.
So did he make a full recovery? :)

My 4mo Satin rooster was acting weird a couple of weeks ago like walking in circles and isolating from the rest if the flock (3 hens and 4 roosters). We trimmed the feathers over his eyes and that helped alot but he still walked in circles occasionally. On weds, after I rehomed 3 of the other roosters, he started showing signs of wry neck. I live in the boonies so I got a bottle of vit e gel caps at the closest store and gave him 400iu twice a day. On Sunday he was way worse. His neck was completely under his body and he was flailing around. I brought him inside. I drove an hour to TC and got Vit E paste w/selenium and red cell. I gave him a pea size amount of vit e 3x a day. We made a paste using his normal feed, scrambled egg, cranberry juice (at the advice of his breeder) and 4 drops of red cell. This made a days worth of food. We had to carefully hold the cup to feed him. My Monday Am he was eating on his own. By Monday night he was 75% better, holding his head up on his own and eating off the ground like a normal chicken.

Unfortunately by Tuesday morning he was worse. Not as bad as Sunday but unable to keep his head up anymore. He can stand and walk a little, and can peck at the ground and eat on his own but the wry neck is very obvious.

He was still the same today, Wednesday. My research said that a B1 deficiency could also help but I didn't find a dosage. On BYC I saw a post about prednisone.

Does any have advice? What kind of b vitamin do you recommend? Dosage? Would prednisone help? Dosage? I am lucky because I actually have prednisone prescribed to me for allergic reactions.

I was going to drive into town to get the vitamins tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom