Wry neck or mareks? Something worse?

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Urgent help needed: this is a 12 week old Easter egger. No known symptoms before, the morning I let all the chickens out, this one looked like her wing was lopsided. She was lethargic and sleepy as well. Her poops up until today have looked solid, normal, with no worms in site. Today, it was kind of muddy black. Yesterday, I found her asleep with her neck turned upside down. A local chicken keeper told me to begin wry neck vitamin treatment. This is a day after I started giving her: 50 mcg of selenium, 1 vitamin e capsule (I cut it upon and mixed in water), and a half a vitamin b complex tablet. When we gave her a warm water bath today, I think this is her neck bone that’s protruding from her chest a bit. Yesterday she was able to walk kind of stumbling and drunk, now she doesn’t want to walk at all and the video shows what happens when she does sit up and can’t keep balance. She was put back in her chicken hospital cage and flailed around chirping trying to get balance but couldn’t, and now she’s sleeping. I do see her getting water and pecking at her food a bit, but not as much as normal. What is this? Is it wry neck? Is it mareks? Is it some other disease I don’t know about? @Wyorp Rock
This is the same chicken I had messaged you about before and you gave me great advice. Just not sure what I’m looking at here. Link to video I uploaded of how she kind of has no balance or energy.
IMG_4100.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 22
Poor thing, she's very sick. :(

Same on as your other thread? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injury-to-wing-or-cocci-12-week-old-easter-egger.1582674/

Can you take a fecal sample to your vet to rule out Coccidiosis?
I can’t afford that. I sent this same clip to the breeder she came from and she suspects coccidiosis maybe from the poo pictures. And she said that maybe she got wry neck because of coccidosis weakening her immune. I did begin treatment with that again (yes this is the same bird) with one direct dose of Corid along with Corid water, and discontinuing the b-complex vitamin I was giving. Not an hour later and she is super improved. She’s still quite messed up, but she eats out of her bowl Better and drinks out of her water better. Yesterday she couldn’t peck correctly for the food bowl so I assisted in that and also held up her water. Hopefully this will all resolve as this would be the second round of cocci since I’ve gotten all my birds (in April). And this white Easter egger was always the first to show signs. I clean their coop weekly, change waters twice. A day , I don’t know how the cocci is coming back

Today. Right after I took that video of her looking like death. Had just given her an Epsom salt bath and let her dry off in the sun. It’s like she did a 180 after the Corid. Shes standing now, still unbalanced when walking but she was able to peck and eat and drink on her own. Which is a good sign for me because this morning, she couldn’t even stand. As for her neck I have looked up that you can also massage it several times a day to help out? I really hope she pulls through. She seems to have been the weakest one out of my crew.

did begin treatment with that again (yes this is the same bird) with one direct dose of Corid along with Corid water, and discontinuing the b-complex vitamin I was giving. Not an hour later and she is super improved.
Sounds like she's not getting enough fluids.
If she's not drinking well enough on her own, then you'll need to tube or syringe fluids into her several times a day.

Sounds like she's not getting enough fluids.
If she's not drinking well enough on her own, then you'll need to tube or syringe fluids into her several times a day.
It’s been very nerve wracking the last few days. She eats and drinks on her own fine, but I do wake her up to give her water and after she has water she will peck away and eat. She sleeps a lot and sits down a lot. Today, she is perching for sleep whereas the last two nights she just sat down. I have heard that wry neck can take time and that it can look worse before it gets better. What else can I do? I’ve also been nervous on if this is mareks. I read in another thread on this site that if this has come from seemingly nowhere, that it could be mareks?

Wry Neck is a symptom, so yes, it's possible that Marek's disease could be a cause.

If she's perking up after you give her water/fluids, then it sounds like she's not getting enough fluids on her own.

I syringe her water several times a a day. And she also eats and drinks on her own. Sometimes I pick her up for some exercise and she eats after that. Her toes are starting to curl. She’s turned into a night owl. She sleeps all day and eats right before sun goes down. But even with my help in lifting her to exercise and stretch legs + her toes have begun to curl. Her neck though, seems to have improved. However, I’m not very hopeful in her recovery as she can barely walk on her own.

Is there a way you can take her outside during the day to get some sunshine?

How many days of Corid do you have left to give? Once you finish treatment, then get her back on the B Complex.

Back
Top Bottom