Wry neck S.O.S.

Mandee297

Songster
Jun 30, 2020
Southern New Jersey
Hello all,

So I am fairly certain I am dealing with wry neck. Symptoms began Oct. 10 very subtly, but we pulled her into the house because she was walking in circles. It escalated fast and the following day she was contorted and walking backwards. We began the pea-sized amount of Vitamin E/Selium goat paste three times a day with scrambled eggs. (She wont take the pea size otherwise). I am also putting a 1 ML syringe of Rooster Booster Poultry Cell on the eggs (so 3 ML of that daily). Took her to the vet Friday, who was stumped. Fecal came back fine. She said to continue what we are doing for now. On Sunday she had an AWESOME day! Was upright.. walking forward. I got so excited. Then the next day total regression back to being contorted and falling :( My heart hurts for her. She has been the bottom of the pecking order and now is so far removed from her flock, but there is no way she can be outside in this condition anyway. Am I overdoing it? Too many vitamins? Should I add more in :( Is this just a long haul. The day she seemed well gave me some false hope and I am wondering if that can happen?

IMG_1485.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-18 164008.png

Below was sunday... but we're back to the neck issues. :(

IMG_1585.jpg

Hello,
I'm so sorry no one every replied to your post!
I honestly don't know anything about wry neck.
Hopefully someone can help you soon!
Again I'm sorry for you and your hen:hugs

Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg.
You can find these vitamins in the vitamin section of Walmart, CVS, etc.

Forget the goat paste.
Thank you so much! I am open to anything at this point. Is that regimen once a day?
The only things she is really able to eat easily right now are scrambled eggs or wet cat foot. Is that alright as her main feed source currently? Along with the poultry cell and nutridrench?

Hello,
I'm so sorry no one every replied to your post!
I honestly don't know anything about wry neck.
Hopefully someone can help you soon!
Again I'm sorry for you and your hen:hugs
thank you so much. It has been a rough couple months with my birds after three years of fairly easy street :( or things i could troubleshoot on my own. to top off my favorite duck passed away unexpectedly. i appreciate the kind thoughts <3

Thank you so much! I am open to anything at this point. Is that regimen once a day?
The only things she is really able to eat easily right now are scrambled eggs or wet cat foot. Is that alright as her main feed source currently? Along with the poultry cell and nutridrench?
Yes, once daily.
The egg and cat food is o.k., you can also try soaking her normal feed in a little water to make a mash, she may be able to handle it that way.

If you giving 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex, then you don't really need the Poultry Cell or Nutri-Drench.

Hopefully she will start to improve with you getting more E into her.

Last edited:
Hi. Wondering how your girl is doing. I'm dealing with this right now and have started the E, B complex, selenium supplements. Hoping they help.
Hiiiii, I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with this.
I wish I had a better update, but we are now going on Day 16 with no major improvement. She is upright sometimes, and when I can take her outside to peck around and also protect her from the flock, she has some better moments, but overall, I guess I was hoping for a lot more at this point. I have read for some it can take months, so I am hoping that this may be the issue... Hoping for a better (and quicker) outcome for your girl.

Hiiiii, I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with this.
I wish I had a better update, but we are now going on Day 16 with no major improvement. She is upright sometimes, and when I can take her outside to peck around and also protect her from the flock, she has some better moments, but overall, I guess I was hoping for a lot more at this point. I have read for some it can take months, so I am hoping that this may be the issue... Hoping for a better (and quicker) outcome for your girl.
I also read it could take a while. Saw earlier in the thread you've had a hard few months. I can relate. We got 3 new pullets in June to integrate into our small flock of 3, which was a challenge on its own. Then one broke her toe and just never recovered and died. One of the other new ones is the one with wry neck. I feel so bad for her. She was the most spunky one, then this happened so suddenly. No idea how it happened since they get good feed. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice set up like yours in the house (our dogs would go crazy), so she has been in the garage in a crate for the past 5 days. Today should be somewhat nice, so I plan to let her out to see how she does (away from the others for now). Been giving her the Vit E, B complex, and a little selenium, but just started giving her the whole Vit E 400 iu gelcaps yesterday (instead of mixed in food), so hopefully that will help. Is your girl still able to eat and drink on her own or are you helping?

00IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex, then you don't really need the Poultry Cell or Nutri-Drenc

I also read it could take a while. Saw earlier in the thread you've had a hard few months. I can relate. We got 3 new pullets in June to integrate into our small flock of 3, which was a challenge on its own. Then one broke her toe and just never recovered and died. One of the other new ones is the one with wry neck. I feel so bad for her. She was the most spunky one, then this happened so suddenly. No idea how it happened since they get good feed. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice set up like yours in the house (our dogs would go crazy), so she has been in the garage in a crate for the past 5 days. Today should be somewhat nice, so I plan to let her out to see how she does (away from the others for now). Been giving her the Vit E, B complex, and a little selenium, but just started giving her the whole Vit E 400 iu gelcaps yesterday (instead of mixed in food), so hopefully that will help. Is your girl still able to eat and drink on her own or are you helping?
Ugh I feel all your pain. From the flock integration dynamics to the wry neck. I love my flock but this year has been so challenging.
Does your girl actually eat the whole E capsule? I have been cracking on into her food but maybe this is better route? Just not sure if she would go for it. she can eat on her own once I show her the food and kinda help her "untwist" a bit. It isn't easy :( and as far as water, I don't see her drink a lot so I put water in her feed to create the mash. Someone somewhere said that is way to up her hydration. Since we are at work, if I leave full waterer with her shewill eventually flail about and knock it over and then she is just in her own poop and a wet puppy pad and i hate that so much. i just wish i knew when to know when. I don't know if this is sustainable quality of life for her and for us. i don't want to prolong something that is just a state of limbo for her. :(

Back
Top Bottom