Wry neck? stroke? I need help!!

tikiman24

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
I have 2 drake mallards that are 7 days old now. One started favoring it's right leg as if it were broken or sprained a couple days ago. It would still push off from it but was wobbly and wouldn't stand for long. I had it checked by the vet and they said it was fractured. So they wrapped it to keep the leg straight. Later that afternoon I went to check on him and I found his head was laying to the side and not picking it up. I did some research and thought it to be a wry neck. So I ran to get him some nutri-drench from TSC. It hasn't been 24 hours yet but I'm worried it's more than wry neck. He still barely stands up and if he tries to walk he basically just pushes himself in a circle. He cleans himself like normal. Eats and drinks like normal but it seems I have to put him by his food and water. I also ran out and got him some PolyViSol because there were some people who had success with that. I did find some of my answers on this site but the thread was a bit old and I was afraid of not getting any replies. So I need to know if this is wry neck, a stroke, or something I'm not thinking of. I don't want to lose the little guy but if you have bad news for me just let me have it. I attached a photo of what he's dealing with. The brown stuff in the bowl is his nutri-drench and water. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I have 2 drake mallards that are 7 days old now. One started favoring it's right leg as if it were broken or sprained a couple days ago. It would still push off from it but was wobbly and wouldn't stand for long. I had it checked by the vet and they said it was fractured. So they wrapped it to keep the leg straight. Later that afternoon I went to check on him and I found his head was laying to the side and not picking it up. I did some research and thought it to be a wry neck. So I ran to get him some nutri-drench from TSC. It hasn't been 24 hours yet but I'm worried it's more than wry neck. He still barely stands up and if he tries to walk he basically just pushes himself in a circle. He cleans himself like normal. Eats and drinks like normal but it seems I have to put him by his food and water. I also ran out and got him some PolyViSol because there were some people who had success with that. I did find some of my answers on this site but the thread was a bit old and I was afraid of not getting any replies. So I need to know if this is wry neck, a stroke, or something I'm not thinking of. I don't want to lose the little guy but if you have bad news for me just let me have it. I attached a photo of what he's dealing with. The brown stuff in the bowl is his nutri-drench and water. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Nutri drench is great to use and it can be put directly into the mouth[not down the throat] you have to be very careful not to get liquid into lungs so just inside the bill is best but it goes to work extremely fast. and could also be a niacin issue, what feed are you using? most feeds for chickens don't have adequate amounts of niacin in them that ducklings need so it has to be supplemented. and not all ducklings will be affected but it won't hurt to give it to both of them, 150 meg of plain niacin added to 1 gal of water then put into a waterer of some kind. this will need to be given for 10-12 weeks. or if you can get hold of Brewers yeast [not bakers yeast] and start putting some on top of their feed each day 2tea.. per cup. and it's the niacin that brings them around. and usually pretty quick . Niacin is in BY also. That it's eating and drinking even though it needs help to do so is a good sign. Just wanted to add if you go for Niacin be sure to ask for plain not time released or flush free. and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I'm no expert with wry neck by any means, but I did have one that I believe had the Niacin Deficiency. If I'm remembering correctly, can't long term deficiencies cause wry neck - like symptoms? Thankfully her issues sorted out with dietary changes on my part. I'm confused about the vet saying a fractured leg tho? Did Dr. do X-rays? I guess either its wry neck (nutritional) or a fracture, which you're treating as advised to by the vet. So either way, I'd say you're covered and doing all you can do. I hope the little one gets better.

The Dr. didn't do x-rays. Just felt around the leg. He wasn't showing any wry neck symptoms at that time. Just the favoring of the leg. He started with the neck thing later that afternoon after I brought him home.

The Dr. didn't do x-rays. Just felt around the leg. He wasn't showing any wry neck symptoms at that time. Just the favoring of the leg. He started with the neck thing later that afternoon after I brought him home.
Okay chick starter doesn't have the amount of Niacin ducklings need so you need to supplement, leg issues neurological issues can all come from niacin deficiency
so get some of the plain niacin or Brewers yeast and get it into them both. If this is the problem you'll start to see improvement with in 2-4 days. Most of us can't get duckling starter and have to use the chick and supplement the niacin needed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help a great story with wonderful ending.

Last edited:
This is what I could get my hands on now. No one that was open carried Brewers Yeast. I don't know what inositol is but if I can extract the niacin from the capsules would that be good enough or would the inositol hurt them?

This is what I could get my hands on now. No one that was open carried Brewers Yeast. I don't know what inositol is but if I can extract the niacin from the capsules would that be good enough or would the inositol hurt them?

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/h/what-is-niacin-inositol-hexanicotinate.html sounds like it's just a form of B3 which is niacin. but all I have read the flush free isn't what to give it has to be the plain niacin. I'd start him on this mixing with water making sure it good and dissolved and then tomorrow get the plain. ask for it at the pharmacy. they keep it behind the counter for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom