Wyandotte with swollen face?

Noodlez

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Orient, Ohio

This is Ice. The corner of her mouth is swollen. I looked in her mouth and there's a slit surrounded by this yellow-ish junk. She's a jerk, but she's *MY* jerk. :c

Reading this is scaring the -ish- out of me:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/340720/has-anyone-seen-this-beak-malady-before

(Ice in better days)

Canker or something less terrifying? I'd like to begin treating her as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I would get some Fish Zole online, and start treating her for possible canker. Dosage is 250 mg orally daily. I would probably split it into a 1/2 dose in the am and another in the evening. The other disease you could look for is wet fowl pox, especially if you have seen any pox or have mosquitoes out now. Canker is very contagious, and many people cull birds with it. Treating the water 3 days a month with acidified copper sulfate can help prevent it in your flock once you have had a case. Please consult a vet if you have access to one, especially a farm vet who might be familiar with this. You can also PM a BYC member Casportpony or read some of her posts about canker (also called trichmoniasis.)

Her face doubled in size over night and her earlobes and swollen cheek-area are bubble-gum pink--haven't even gotten a hold of our farm vet yet due to the holiday.....So we're set to cull her tonight.

I feel bad, like I'm betraying her. She's a good girl and a good layer. I'll treat the rest with copper sulfate--but can't go through this with 80+ birds.

Any other suggestions before she's dispatched at lock-up?

Sorry about your hen. You could probably get metronidazole or Flagyl, the same med as FishZole from a vet in the morning if you change your mind on culling.

I'll look into it. Just trying to minimize the spread as much as possible. She seemed fine the day before yesterday--I see them every day....Very odd.

Thank you again. :/

Back
Top Bottom