Wyandottes on a perch??

McCracken

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
My Wyandottes are 6 weeks old and I have not seen them on the perch yet. They are living with an Ameraucana, also 6 weeks, who loves to perch. There is enough room to share.

Any idea as to why my Wyandotte girls are not catching on?

How high is the roost? Is there only one roost? Are they in a coop or brooder and, if brooder, is there a cover on the brooder? While there is "plenty of room to share" - is your Ameraucana showing a willingness to do so?

Last edited:
Wyandottes are a heavy breed. Their roosts should be 12-18 inches off the ground so they do not injure their feet or legs when coming off the roost. Years ago, I got a Speckled Sussex from a lady who was rehoming her birds. The poor thing was so crippled with arthritis in her feet she could hardly walk. It was an 3 yr. old hen. The lady told me she also had Ginnie hens. That she had her perches 5 ft. off the ground for the Ginnies and the Sussex also used those roosts. This poor hen had so injured herself coming down off that high roost now she could hardly walk. It was very sad.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
The roost is approximately 4" off the ground
How high is the roost? Is there only one roost? Are they in a coop or brooder and, if brooder, is there a cover on the brooder? While there is "plenty of room to share" - is your Ameraucana showing a willingness to do so?
The roost is approximately 4" off the ground. There is one roost in the brood. Yes, the brood has a cover. Keesha, the Ameraucana seems willing to share, she is very calm. However, LooLoo and Jupiter like to go beneath her and peck at her feet or simply lay beneath her. They are curious about what Keesha is doing on the perch but they just don't have interest in getting on the perch themselves.

Wyandottes are a heavy breed. Their roosts should be 12-18 inches off the ground so they do not injure their feet or legs when coming off the roost. Years ago, I got a Speckled Sussex from a lady who was rehoming her birds. The poor thing was so crippled with arthritis in her feet she could hardly walk. It was an 3 yr. old hen. The lady told me she also had Ginnie hens. That she had her perches 5 ft. off the ground for the Ginnies and the Sussex also used those roosts. This poor hen had so injured herself coming down off that high roost now she could hardly walk. It was very sad.
Best,
Karen

Thank you for the information. We are building our coop and haven't added roosts yet, this will definitely be considered.

Back
Top Bottom