Wyandottes trying to kill the new hens

kateseidel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
I thought I'd done everything right. Raised my new chicks indoors for 6 weeks. Moved them out to the coop to an area that was separate from the big hens (2 years old), but only through fencing, so they could see, hear, etc. One week in that space, then made an entry so the chicks could have the run and their space, and the hens stil had the coop and could go out for free ranging. That's gone on for another 2 weeks. I've let the chicks out for ranging for an hour at a clip in the evening, and I am really shocked at how aggressive the Wyandottes are to the babies!!

The Buff Orpingtons act the way I expected, pretty much ignore them unless they get too close and then snake a head. But the Wyandottes will wait for them to get out of the run, and come from wherever they are to actively chase the chicks. One of the caught one, held it down with one foot and pulled out all of the tail feathers. I thought they would get over it, but it's been a week of this and they are not easing up. Not sure I am ever going to be comfortable putting them in the coop together whether the Wyandottes could get the babies pinned!!

I am never getting anything but Orpingtons again!

I thought I'd done everything right. Raised my new chicks indoors for 6 weeks. Moved them out to the coop to an area that was separate from the big hens (2 years old), but only through fencing, so they could see, hear, etc. One week in that space, then made an entry so the chicks could have the run and their space, and the hens stil had the coop and could go out for free ranging. That's gone on for another 2 weeks. I've let the chicks out for ranging for an hour at a clip in the evening, and I am really shocked at how aggressive the Wyandottes are to the babies!!

The Buff Orpingtons act the way I expected, pretty much ignore them unless they get too close and then snake a head. But the Wyandottes will wait for them to get out of the run, and come from wherever they are to actively chase the chicks. One of the caught one, held it down with one foot and pulled out all of the tail feathers. I thought they would get over it, but it's been a week of this and they are not easing up. Not sure I am ever going to be comfortable putting them in the coop together whether the Wyandottes could get the babies pinned!!

I am never getting anything but Orpingtons again!
All the breeds I got were chosen for their docility. Wyandottes, Wellsummers, Orps, bantums - but there are still issues! I can def see why people go all orp!!

I know how you feel about Wyandottes! I had one silver-laced Wyandotte hen, and she was raised just like all my other babies, but she was crazy! Acted like we had beaten her every day of her life! I got a couple of bantam cochins, and my Dominiques ignored them, or at most, snaked a head at them. The Wyandotte persecuted them unmercifully! It came to a head the day she jumped on top of this tiny bantam chochin's back and started raking with her claws while pecking out tufts of feathers! I got rid of the Wyandotte. I have no room in my backyard coop for an mean chicken!

Ironically it's my Orpington who is being brutal today.
We have 5 hens who are 5 months old, and just added 2 older hens (18 mos?) to the flock a week ago.
Everything had been very friendly & peaceful until then.
Now the pecking order is all in flux, and each day I observe a different hen being the bully or getting bullied!
Yesterday it was the Orp attacking our Leghorn. Comes away with feathers in her beak & the Leghorn is beside herself (she used to be top girl).
Is there anything we can do?
Just wait it out as long as there's no blood?
I feel guilty b/c I swatted the Orp several times (not hard, but trying to distract/keep her away) & held her back once by her tail, but it was all useless as she ran right at leghorn as soon as I let go.
I knew there would be upset, but now I feel all emo over these girls and their turmoil.
They had JUST started laying, and haven't stopped yet, but I'm worried about that too.

My dottes are good girls I guess. ALBEIT, they did establish they were the boss.

In Jan, I got 12 chicks from another BYC-er. I finished raising them inside. I put them out at 6 weeks. I gave them their own little run for a few weeks, with a constant heat source since it was the end of february when they went out. I did not let them near the big girls until they were about 3 months old. The big girls could see them, would be all around their run, but couldn't harm them. I started slowly letting them out. I would leave an opening just big enough for them to go in and out, but keep the bigguns out. Yeah there was a bit of pecking and all, but nothing like you are discribing. I think, if you wait until they are a bit bigger, you'll have less problems. They will establish who is the boss. BUT when they are closer to 12-14 weeks, they are closer to their full size, and MOVE it faster. Believe it or not, my meanest birds are my silkies. Yup... I guess they make up for size by being mean to the littles right away, so they don't get picked on when the little get bigger. HAHA. My silkie roo, he will actually kick butt of cockerel 3 times his size and win!

Back
Top Bottom