Wyndsongs journey to Chicken Lady

Wyndsong

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Tyler TX
Wanted to keep my chicken journey separate from my overall farm life journal on BYH. Right now we don't have any chickens. But soon, very very soon.

IMG_20210523_193112.jpg

This is the premade Chicken Tiny house we purchased. We wanted to just get our feet wet in chicken keeping before we go whole hog! But whole hog we will go eventually.

It took us a little while to "fortify" the little coop because of the rain. Seems like every weekend Texas decided to rain. Even today it sprinkled a bit, but we worked through it. Drenched in sweat! Yuck! Bugs and humidity are why I don't like summer!

IMG_20210612_093808.jpg

Today we, by we I mean my husband, built the frame that the coop will be sitting on. The frame is built out of pressure treated wood. Then on the bottom of the frame we, by we I mean me this time, stapled hardware cloth that sticks out a little over a foot from the frame. We only put it on two sides because the coop will be sitting against the wall of our garage and the brick porch so no predators will be able to dig on those two aides.

IMG_20210612_153012.jpg

Next step was to put the coop on the frame.
IMG_20210612_153020.jpg

Then we added these awesome hook and eye latches to make the two outside doors more secure.

IMG_20210612_182125.jpg

Next step was to add a water system that we don't have to constantly clean and refill every day. We're lazy and busy so the less we have to do the better. LOL. My husband designed this himself, basically on the fly, but also from watching tons of videos of other peoples systems on YouTube. We put two drinking cups on the inside and one on the outside.

IMG_20210612_182132.jpg

We built a ledge on top of the roof of the coop to hold the bucket. Then put in the pipes to carry the water down to the cups. We did for get the end cap to keep the water inside the pipe. Whoops! We also need to secure the pipe with a strap of some sort. Just another trip to the hardware store!

Basically we're now ready for chickens! We've got feed, supplements, treat's, bedding. Even got a couple of dummy eggs for the nest boxes! Next stop to buy a couple of laying hens!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_182125.jpg
    IMG_20210612_182125.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 6
Understand that after a few initial eggs (those that were in process) they may stop laying for a bit as they adjust to their new home. Enjoy your flock.

I think Bach is going broody on us. She spends most of her day in the right nest box. I searched through the posts here about broody chickens and she shows most of the signs. Stays in her nest box. I took her out of the box and put her on the ground and she started clucking deep like a ticking bomb. Then she sang her "I just layed an egg" song and danced around their yard a bit. Then as soon as I walked out of her sight, she went right back to her nest box. No egg laying though. She has been giving us some eggs, because we've been getting two almost every day. Although yesterday neither gave us any eggs, but I think that was the storm that blasted through here yesterday.

One of the hens also gave us a "fairy egg" on Friday. I'm wondering if maybe they're related to going broody?

Anyway, we're starting on our bigger chicken coop project... by starting I mean we got a few free pallets, and by "we" I mean my husband. My husband wants to get it done ASAP because he really really really dislikes all the chicken poop on our back patio. I don't blame him, he takes the dog out there and she eats that up like it's treats and he's the one that goes out there to BBQ! LOL I'm looking forward to working on the coop though. I want to "design" it as best I can to look somewhat like our house. Which means getting some brick veneer to put on the outside of the coop and putting some white columns in front and back of the coop. hehehe... we'll see how it turns out though. Big dreams and reality aren't always the same thing! :)

And we have CHICKENS!!!
IMG_20210614_114608.jpg

Meet Bok and Bok. LOL. At least for now. My husband suggested that and we all laughed so it might stick. Everyone groaned when I suggested Bok n Roll. Harumph!

IMG_20210614_114626.jpg

We brought them home yesterday from a local farm. They are one year old Leghorns and were laying eggs. We even got out first egg today!!

IMG_20210614_114539.jpg

Back
Top Bottom