Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
I walked to the mailbox today and on the way back made this discovery.

The Sego Lilies are blooming!!!
full

full

full

full

full

full

Bob, if I had flowers like that around me, I'd walk to the mailbox a couple times a day :)

(That would be a heck of a long walk though...no mailbox here, have to use a PO box in town 6 miles away, lol.)

Bob, if I had flowers like that around me, I'd walk to the mailbox a couple times a day :)

(That would be a heck of a long walk though...no mailbox here, have to use a PO box in town 6 miles away, lol.)
My mailbox is only a half mile away.

Most of these flowers are morning bloomers. Take a walk through your field and you may be surprised what you will find. The cacti are just about to start blooming.

My mailbox is only a half mile away.

Most of these flowers are morning bloomers. Take a walk through your field and you may be surprised what you will find. The cacti are just about to start blooming.

I don't suppose they'd be hiding out on the golf course. That's where I am 99% of the day (but only 4 more months, then it's a whole winter off!).

I don't suppose they'd be hiding out on the golf course. That's where I am 99% of the day (but only 4 more months, then it's a whole winter off!).
I assume that the golf course is heavily watered . These are all very xeric plants so you won't find them in a heavily watered area although the primroses tolerate water really well. You might find something blooming just outside of the watered areas.

I found some Rocky Mountain Bee plant blooming yesterday and the Blue Flax is still going strong.

The golf course has a lot of cottonwood trees that are aging. Does anyone have suggestions on the types of trees we could plant that would do well in this area?

(Bob, you're right, the course is heavily watered.)

The golf course has a lot of cottonwood trees that are aging. Does anyone have suggestions on the types of trees we could plant that would do well in this area?

(Bob, you're right, the course is heavily watered.)
Cottonwoods can live for a very long time. Unless they are in really bad condition and dying, I would not replace them.

I have been replacing my Russian Olives with Littleleaf Lindens (Greenspire). They are a slow growing tree (most everything grows slow where I am). They have been through some really nasty early falls (-27°F the end of the first week of November) and some killer winters (major thaw in January followed by sub zero temperatures followed by major thaw in February followed by more killer freezes) without any problems.

The one tree that does really well her (Russian Olive) is now labeled a noxious weed.

It is highly recommended that you should plant a diverse number of trees so that conditions will not wipe out everything at the same time along with the different varieties attracting different kinds of wildlife.

Each county has its own Conservation District and they all have an online presence now.

This is the one for Natrona County.

http://www.nccdwyoming.com/

Trees for Wyoming

Shrubs for Wyoming

Cottonwoods can live for a very long time. Unless they are in really bad condition and dying, I would not replace them.

I have been replacing my Russian Olives with Littleleaf Lindens (Greenspire). They are a slow growing tree (most everything grows slow where I am). They have been through some really nasty early falls (-27°F the end of the first week of November) and some killer winters (major thaw in January followed by sub zero temperatures followed by major thaw in February followed by more killer freezes) without any problems.

The one tree that does really well her (Russian Olive) is now labeled a noxious weed.

It is highly recommended that you should plant a diverse number of trees so that conditions will not wipe out everything at the same time along with the different varieties attracting different kinds of wildlife.

Each county has its own Conservation District and they all have an online presence now.

This is the one for Natrona County.

http://www.nccdwyoming.com/

Trees for Wyoming

Shrubs for Wyoming

Thanks for the links Bob!

We have lost quite a few of the old cottonwoods the past 1 1/2 year due to storms. Not looking to replace them, we just need to start something new to add to them so people years down the road will have trees to enjoy. There's another golf course about 12 miles from us and one of the things people like best about ours is the trees (the other place doesn't have any) so we need to ensure trees are around for a long time.

Hello fellow Wyomingites. I am from Cody originally, went to school in Powell at Northwest for 2 years, and finished my doctorate in Michigan. I am now located in Natrona County.

Back
Top Bottom