Wyoming Unite!!!!

Have you ever used the Salsify for anything Bob? I think I've read of people making tea with it, not sure what else someone could do with it.
No, all I do is to mow it off. It is like carrot root. There is a thread on BYC about growing Salsify in the garden from a few years ago. I suspect that it can probably be cooked and eaten like other root vegetables. It looks like there is a bumper crop starting. Stop by if you want to harvest some to try.

Emerald bee on Salsify
full

Timothy in bloom.
full

No, all I do is to mow it off. It is like carrot root. There is a thread on BYC about growing Salsify in the garden from a few years ago. I suspect that it can probably be cooked and eaten like other root vegetables. It looks like there is a bumper crop starting. Stop by if you want to harvest some to try.
We have lots of it here (not yet blooming, though the dandelions are in full display). Maybe I will give it a try. Dandelion root is also reputedly a super-food. I bought seed for a culinary variety. :oops: :lau Have yet to plant it, but there can hardly be a greater abundance of dandelion than we already have, so likely no harm in trying it.

We have lots of it here (not yet blooming, though the dandelions are in full display). Maybe I will give it a try. Dandelion root is also reputedly a super-food. I bought seed for a culinary variety. :oops: :lau Have yet to plant it, but there can hardly be a greater abundance of dandelion than we already have, so likely no harm in trying it.
I have lots of dandelions. My neighbor on the west side is screwed because he is constantly fighting the dandelion in his yard. I keep telling him that it isn't going to go away because I will not kill my dandelions. They are normally the first thing to bloom in the spring and the bees really work them over.

I have lots of plans for doing some gardening next year but I don't think Salsify will be part of it.

I'll let you try it first! :D

Does the culinary variety look different than the wild weedy dandelion?

Does the culinary variety look different than the wild weedy dandelion?
It does on the seed packet. Assorted hues, I think bigger leaves, beefier plant overall, etc., but there's not much for size reference. I believe (read it somewhere) that our common dandelions were brought here on purpose from Europe as a medicinal. But you know... internet facts (or factoids, more likely). :lau

I have lots of plans for doing some gardening next year but I don't think Salsify will be part of it.

I'll let you try it first! :D
You don't have to try it in your garden. It is growing wild here. Just stop by or have your husband stop by and I will gladly give you some.

I doubt that I will be trying it anytime soon. Of all the wild edibles that I have tried, only Lamb's Quarter has been any good. Fresh, young Lamb's Quarter has a nice lemony taste to it and would be a fine addition to a salad. They say Purslane is good to eat. I have tried it and found it vile and disgusting. I did run across a recipe for pickled purslane last year. Pickling may be alright but I have plenty of other things to pickle.

Last edited:
Salsify

" Salsify belongs to the dandelion family and is also known as the 'oyster plant' because of its faintly oystery flavor when cooked (though there's some debate on that front). Salsify can be boiled, mashed, or fried like a potato, and it makes a yummy addition to soups and stews."

" What does it taste like? Salsify is nicknamed the “oyster plant” because it has an oyster-like taste. However, it doesn't quite stop there. Albert Bartlett describes it as like a “mild artichoke with a trace of liquorice”."

" Young salsify roots can be eaten raw if sliced thinly or grated, but more commonly both types of salsify are boiled, steamed, fried, baked or pureed into soups. ... Both the young shoots and the flowers can be eaten."

Back
Top Bottom