Wyoming Unite!!!!

Salsify

" Salsify belongs to the dandelion family and is also known as the 'oyster plant' because of its faintly oystery flavor when cooked (though there's some debate on that front). Salsify can be boiled, mashed, or fried like a potato, and it makes a yummy addition to soups and stews."

" What does it taste like? Salsify is nicknamed the “oyster plant” because it has an oyster-like taste. However, it doesn't quite stop there. Albert Bartlett describes it as like a “mild artichoke with a trace of liquorice”."

" Young salsify roots can be eaten raw if sliced thinly or grated, but more commonly both types of salsify are boiled, steamed, fried, baked or pureed into soups. ... Both the young shoots and the flowers can be eaten."
I always think oysters taste like whatever you dip them in. :p

" Salsify belongs to the dandelion family and is also known as the 'oyster plant' because of its faintly oystery flavor when cooked (though there's some debate on that front). Salsify can be boiled, mashed, or fried like a potato, and it makes a yummy addition to soups and stews."

" What does it taste like? Salsify is nicknamed the “oyster plant” because it has an oyster-like taste. However, it doesn't quite stop there. Albert Bartlett describes it as like a “mild artichoke with a trace of liquorice”."

" Young salsify roots can be eaten raw if sliced thinly or grated, but more commonly both types of salsify are boiled, steamed, fried, baked or pureed into soups. ... Both the young shoots and the flowers can be eaten."
I have seen lots of bugs on salsify, I don't know if i would want to eat one from my yard even after washing.
Dandelions can also be eaten.
"Dandelion greens can be eaten cooked or raw and serve as an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate and small amounts of other B vitamins (1)."

I have seen lots of bugs on salsify, I don't know if i would want to eat one from my yard even after washing.
Dandelions can also be eaten.
"Dandelion greens can be eaten cooked or raw and serve as an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate and small amounts of other B vitamins (1)."
It is the salsify root that is of most interest for eating. Bugs are everywhere and on everything. There are always some kind of bugs on the plants in my garden. It doesn't stop me from grazing in the garden without washing anything.

Back
Top Bottom