Wyoming Unite!!!!

All we’ve had is rain, rain, rain. No snow yet. I wish we had a yard….grass….clover….something!! Shoot, I’d even settle for a field of dandelions at this point. I’m so sick of being surrounded by mud laced with Bentonite, and even sicker of having it tracked through the house when the dogs come in. <sigh>
I live on a sand dune. I never get mud. The snow is up to 5"+.
20220423_081246_1_1-gif.3075225

Hi, I live in laramie (not in town) and I have a question.
With AI being in America should I make a fenced in covered area for my 8 ducks and 10 chickens?
My chickens and ducks have always been allowed to free range all throughout the day and not until last year due to a fox attack are locked up every night after sundown.
I would appreciate knowing when I should be concerned or not.
And if I have to make a covered area, do any of you have any tips on how to make something that will handle the wind?

Hi, I live in Laramie (not in town) and I have a question.
With AI being in America should I make a fenced in covered area for my 8 ducks and 10 chickens?
My chickens and ducks have always been allowed to free range all throughout the day and not until last year due to a fox attack are locked up every night after sundown.
I would appreciate knowing when I should be concerned or not.
And if I have to make a covered area, do any of you have any tips on how to make something that will handle the wind?
As far as I know there have been two cases of AI found in domestic flocks in Wyoming. The G&F has found several cases in wild waterfowl in Wyoming.

The governor has banned all shows, meets, swaps, sale and relocations. Hatcheries and retail stores are allowed to keep selling.

I am not doing anything out of the ordinary for me. If it makes you feel safer about your flock, by all means take all the precautions you can.

In the case of the domestic flocks that had a positive case in one of their birds, the entire flocks were destroyed.

My understanding is that one case was near Sheridan and another was in Buffalo.

As far as I know there have been two cases of AI found in domestic flocks in Wyoming. The G&F has found several cases in wild waterfowl in Wyoming.

The governor has banned all shows, meets, swaps, sale and relocations. Hatcheries and retail stores are allowed to keep selling.

I am not doing anything out of the ordinary for me. If it makes you feel safer about your flock, by all means take all the precautions you can.

In the case of the domestic flocks that had a positive case in one of their birds, the entire flocks were destroyed.

My understanding is that one case was near Sheridan and another was in Buffalo.
Okay, thank you!
I have been trying to keep the little wild birds away as much as possible, it's hard to do though when I am not out there. I recently changed up how I give the chickens and ducks their feed, I used to throw their feed so the chickens could scratch around and search for it all but that brought a lot of wild birds in I have two water/feeder containers now that I use to put there feed in and their has been less wild birds but they still try eating the feed sometimes.
I don't have a very big coop and don't really have much of anything to build something to cover them up with. I have been very anxious about the whole thing I know where I am is mostly likely safe I have only seen one group of geese flying over and they weren't over us. But their has been two doves that have tried (I scared them off) eating the chicken feed as well as magpies will eat any loose pieces of feed or whatever they find. I like seeing the wild birds but I don't at the same time cause I worry they are going to cause issues with my flock.
This is from last year.
20210903_143229~2.jpg

I have filled the pond up on warm days already this year but don't want what's in the picture to happen. The wild birds use it as a bird bath.

I hope you all have good day!

Back
Top Bottom