Yardbird Chicken Plucker

speedy2020

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Last edited:
Hey that doesn't look to bad. I guess competition is bringing the price down, those earlier models were very pricey.

Hey that doesn't look to bad. I guess competition is bringing the price down, those earlier models were very pricey.

The price was right and can be pickup at the store that why I purchased it.
I use it yesterday, rather than last week. It worked very well with 3 old heritage hens and 1 18months Muscovy duck. The chickens have no problem with only few feathers left. There are about 5-7 % feathers left from the duck where the plucker finger couldn't touch.

Last edited:
I use it yesterday, rather than last week. It worked very well with 3 old heritage hens and 1 18months Muscovy duck. The chickens have no problem with only few feather left. There are about 5-7 % feather left from the duck where the plucker finger couldn't touch.
That sounds good!

I use it yesterday, rather than last week. It worked very well with 3 old heritage hens and 1 18months Muscovy duck. The chickens have no problem with only few feathers left. There are about 5-7 % feathers left from the duck where the plucker finger couldn't touch.

Were you plucking 2 at a time? The best results are obtained when 2 are done together. When there is an odd number of birds the single needs to be carefully watched since it will get caught up and the skin will rip.

When I use mine I generally have one or 2 feathers in the wing pit area and on the last joint on the wing. Also the scald temp is critically important.

Were you plucking 2 at a time? The best results are obtained when 2 are done together. When there is an odd number of birds the single needs to be carefully watched since it will get caught up and the skin will rip.

When I use mine I generally have one or 2 feathers in the wing pit area and on the last joint on the wing. Also the scald temp is critically important.
I tried 1 and 2 birds at the time. Two at the time work best because it keep them moving. The single one cause it to get stuck easy. I scalded the bird around 155-160F and pulled feather wing test before put into the plucker. There is no skin come off issue.

Those owner of this plucker... I suggest use 5-6 gallon bucket with lot of drill holes size 3/8" - 1/4" at the bottom of the bucket to catch the feather. The corner also little lower help the feather move to the bucket easy and quicker clean up.

I recently purchased a Yardbird and used it last weekend to do 5 CX and 3 EE cockerels. I was very happy with it. It saved me so much time. Well worth the cost for me since I do all the butchering start to finish myself.

I liked that I could take the drum and bottom off to clean it. I have a small plucker for my quail but it's a solid piece. It's hard to clean the feathers out of the bottom of that one.

Back
Top Bottom