Yardbird Chicken Plucker

speedy2020

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
The Tractor supply has Yardbird Chicken Plucker for $399.99 on line. Those who raise meat bird can save lot of time with automatic plucker. I am plan to pluck some ducks and chickens tomorrow morning.
Administrator, this may not be the appropriate forum so move to the right forum if see fit.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/yardbird-chicken-plucker

Yardbird Automatic vs hand pluck

Last edited:

mill-j

Songster
Aug 22, 2017
Hey that doesn't look to bad. I guess competition is bringing the price down, those earlier models were very pricey.

speedy2020

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Hey that doesn't look to bad. I guess competition is bringing the price down, those earlier models were very pricey.
The price was right and can be pickup at the store that why I purchased it.
I use it yesterday, rather than last week. It worked very well with 3 old heritage hens and 1 18months Muscovy duck. The chickens have no problem with only few feathers left. There are about 5-7 % feathers left from the duck where the plucker finger couldn't touch.

Last edited:

mill-j

Songster
Aug 22, 2017
I use it yesterday, rather than last week. It worked very well with 3 old heritage hens and 1 18months Muscovy duck. The chickens have no problem with only few feather left. There are about 5-7 % feather left from the duck where the plucker finger couldn't touch.
That sounds good!

Fairview01

Songster
Jan 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I use it yesterday, rather than last week. It worked very well with 3 old heritage hens and 1 18months Muscovy duck. The chickens have no problem with only few feathers left. There are about 5-7 % feathers left from the duck where the plucker finger couldn't touch.
Were you plucking 2 at a time? The best results are obtained when 2 are done together. When there is an odd number of birds the single needs to be carefully watched since it will get caught up and the skin will rip.

When I use mine I generally have one or 2 feathers in the wing pit area and on the last joint on the wing. Also the scald temp is critically important.

speedy2020

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Were you plucking 2 at a time? The best results are obtained when 2 are done together. When there is an odd number of birds the single needs to be carefully watched since it will get caught up and the skin will rip.

When I use mine I generally have one or 2 feathers in the wing pit area and on the last joint on the wing. Also the scald temp is critically important.
I tried 1 and 2 birds at the time. Two at the time work best because it keep them moving. The single one cause it to get stuck easy. I scalded the bird around 155-160F and pulled feather wing test before put into the plucker. There is no skin come off issue.

speedy2020

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Those owner of this plucker... I suggest use 5-6 gallon bucket with lot of drill holes size 3/8" - 1/4" at the bottom of the bucket to catch the feather. The corner also little lower help the feather move to the bucket easy and quicker clean up.

lomine

Crowing
Aug 7, 2015
Peyton, CO
I recently purchased a Yardbird and used it last weekend to do 5 CX and 3 EE cockerels. I was very happy with it. It saved me so much time. Well worth the cost for me since I do all the butchering start to finish myself.

I liked that I could take the drum and bottom off to clean it. I have a small plucker for my quail but it's a solid piece. It's hard to clean the feathers out of the bottom of that one.

Top Bottom