Year old hen with giant pustule on side of face?

TaylorMae

Hatching
Jul 28, 2021
Hello. I have a sweet little hen named Nina who, upon closer inspection today I discover she’s got this giant hard pustule thing on the side of her face where her head and neck meet on her waddle area. Has anyone come across this before and can point me in a direction of how to treat it? She still seems to have somewhat of an appetite and has been drinking water.

Attachments

• CBD741AB-4B6E-48FE-938E-75DA37CBA8D1.jpeg
    CBD741AB-4B6E-48FE-938E-75DA37CBA8D1.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 14
  • D44A1115-45AE-4C32-82B9-37C3FB745168.jpeg
    D44A1115-45AE-4C32-82B9-37C3FB745168.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 11
Poor thing! Looks like a scab in the middle there. Infected pecking wound? Like bumblefoot on her face (bumbleface?).

Wondering if you should clean it up like you would a foot infection. Try to get that scab off maybe? Treat with antibiotic ointment? That's tricky because of where it is.

I'm NOT an expert by any means. This convo has been bumped. Let's see what others think.

Is she acting lethargic? Is her tail down? What has the weather been like lately? Is she still laying?
Yes, she is acting lethargic, with a droopy tail. She stopped laying about a month ago, but so did about half of my other chickens. I’m out in southern Idaho and we are experiencing a terrible heatwave like we haven’t seen in half a decade and all my hens are not liking this horribly hot weather.

Poor thing! Looks like a scab in the middle there. Infected pecking wound? Like bumblefoot on her face (bumbleface?).

Wondering if you should clean it up like you would a foot infection. Try to get that scab off maybe? Treat with antibiotic ointment? That's tricky because of where it is.

I'm NOT an expert by any means. This convo has been bumped. Let's see what others think.
When I first saw it I thought it would be just a pussy infection but it feels quite solid so I haven’t tried to lance it yet as I’m not sure anything would even come out. I’m stumped, that’s for sure. I also thought it could be fowl pox but that’s the only scabby wound or anything that I could find so I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom