Yeasty dog skin - has anyone been able to fix this?

Wow - Thanks for all the replies! Solomon is a cocker/terrier mix (unknown terrier breed(s)). He has wiry hair with zero undercoat. He's had this problem since I got him (he was 12 weeks old on July 4th). Christmas killed my vet money for now, but he'll be going towards the end of January for the skin test my vet recommended. He sleeps in the house on various dog beds - the covers get washed about weekly. I'll post any more info as it occurs to me. Again, thanks for all your input!

there is a shampoo that the vet sells for that.

main ingredient that works is

Chlorhexidine 4%

can purchase this on ebay as well. it is designed for a yeast infection on skin that smells sour. dogs get it from being wet, many drooling breeds have it under the chin.

I use it on my goldens for that.

I bought Chlorhexidine at the local feed store, $4.79 for a good size bottle of concentrate, you have to dilute it a LOT.

When I shampoo dogs, I take an old, washed out dishsoap type bottle (you can buy squeeze type bottles if you prefer) and put, I guess about a 1/4 cup of shampoo into a 16 oz bottle and fill it the rest of the way with warm water and shake it enough to mix. Then I squirt the warm, sudsy water onto the dry dog and lather up.

This takes far, far less shampoo and is much easier then soaking the dog first. And this way you can lather from the skin out, not have to work the shampoo down from through the coat to the skin.
As always, rinse well. With a dog with bad skin, rinse twice as well as you think you need to.

When I lived in FL with my (now gone) Thunder, that poor dog was allergic to EVERYTHING. Including fleas (nasty and year round in FL) and every flea treatment, shampoo, spot on, spray, pill, house treatment known to man. Weekly baths were the only answer. I used this; http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754478 I'd lather him up, leave it on him for 10 minutes and then rinse and rinse and rinse. It was very soothing and healing to skin that was aggravated by everything and the pennyroyal repelled the fleas for about a week. It sounds extreme but if the dog is bad enough get a rainbarrel and rinse him with rainwater. That avoids any chemicals in the water and also salts from a water softener.

I've tried the chlorohexadine w/out luck - prescribed by the vet. I think I'll see if I can find the Dermaplex and try that until I can get him back to the vet. Thanks for the suggestions! Luckily, he LOVES baths - jumps into the tub and is quite cooperative. I taught him that baths were a good thing from the start, as the vet said he'd need to be bathed weekly, most likely for his whole life
roll.png
Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
ya.gif

Like I posted earlier chlorhex shampoo alone wont clear yeast. You need to mix it with a miconazole/ketachlor shampoo too. The shampoos mixed have a synergistic effect meaning they create something new and more effective then either one is when used alone. The dog should also be taking oral yeast meds and an antibiotic to prevent secondary infections..again at the same time. Once yeast is active diets and baths wont take care of it..it takes a 3 pronged approach of oral meds, topical meds/treatments, and diet.
This is how the local vets treat yeast infections of the skin. They send these kind of clients to me for the bathing portion of the treatment. I am a nationally certified groomer of over 20 years experience Skin based yeast infections are handled differently than ear based yeast infections. Once the yeast infection is under control then all the advice you have been given regarding probiotics,food,shampoos ect can be put into play to prevent it. Good luck with him

Wished we had known more about these treatments with our collie. She was so sweet but one day she stank all the time, sent her to U of I after unsuccessful medications from our wonderful patient vet and he decided to send her to U of I for allergies....yep she was allergic to grass, weeds, dirt, dust, ragweeds, pollen...it was awful! So we started the expensive shots for allergies and afterwhile after seven years of it, she stank some more and it would ooze. Daily baths wasn't cutting it. We have done everything we could to make this wonderful dog comfortable but being isolated, stinking up our clothes, anything she came into contact with, even her kennel mates do not want anything to do with her.....it was time to let her go. We finally made the decision to put her down because the medications the next step up was going to be very, very expensive.

Quote:
If you don't find something that works, I have had good luck with Malaseb, Duoxo and plain old tar and sulfur shampoos.

maybe try a shampoo with Tea Tree Oil? it's a natural anti-fungal. you could also put a little apple cider vinegar in your pup's water, teaspoon or so.

ETA: raw unfiltered ACV

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom