"Yeller" Chick-She cries all the time?

BarredChicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Hi All, We've had our 3 day old Rocks for 24 hours and I noticed one chick is very much a loner and cries all the time. Did this chick imprint on something else? What can we do to help her? She doesn't like being held too much and cries alot. Thank You all!

Hmm not sure. Is she cold 'cuz the others aren't snuggling with her?

One of my silkies wasn't in the "cool club" and ended up by herself a lot, so she screamed a lot. After a couple of times she had me well trained-I would run right in and hold her, and she would settle down,coo,and fall fast asleep...
roll.png

She's not cold, she goes to the wall by herself and pecks and cries. I hold her and she fights like the dickens (ha not chickens) and I really think she's just a yeller. She has ever fallen asleep with the group but she's pretty much yell'n most of the time by herself. I have held her alot to try to help her but...she yells at me too and when she's put back in the box. At least the other chicks accept her and haven't pecked at her yet.

I wonder if she'll always be this way?

I haven't tried that yet however I do believe in trying anything to comfort her. I will try that...and let you know. Thank you for your idea!

Last night I brought home 4 new banty babies from the Feed Store and the buff or red (to be determined) silkie cried all the way home and in the brooder I had to set up real quick (I wasn't planning on getting chicks). As soon as I turned on the red heat lamp she stopped.

They say the red bulbs calm them and it worked for her. I must say, I'm a beginner that only used the red heat lamps so don't have experience with other heating sources, but my first batch of ten chicks that are now 9 wks old and out in the coop never ever picked on each other or cried or yelled either.

Are you using a red heat lamp?

My baby roo used to hollar all the time. The others would be sleeping peacefully and he would be standing up in the middle of them chirping his head off.

Lasted about the first 3 days. He's pretty "normal" acting now. Maybe yours will get over it too.

After reading your posts, I think the chick might be a roo! The chick walks around going to corner to corner while all the other chicks sleep (14) and pecks at the walls, cries and will run over top of the other chicks to get where it wants...hmm might be a roo establishing his presence?

I have a yellow tint heat bulb, they all seem to like -yet this chick is a mystery.

I think I might name this one Bandit, he has a black eye area and an eye with a white line through the black area...Bandit it is!

I will observe more tomorrow and let ya'll know! Thank so much!

I just got my new chicks Monday but long ago raised chicks. I had a mad chirper and she pecked tape on a cardboard box incessantly. On a desperate whim I redipped her beak in the waterer and haven't heard a peep since. New but just an idea:/

Back
Top Bottom