Yellow crookneck squash can you eat them? pics now

When to pick is a personal preference. I pick when they are young 5-6 inches. I find the skin gets tough as they get bigger. Yes you can eat the skins. You can use them like you do zuchini and other summer squashes.

Quote:
Either that , or a FENCE with chickens inside .
How many do you have ?

I have close to 100 head and they have always been kept in a run and attached coop .

I really don't know how many more I will have later tonight after DH gets back from his adventure at the auction ..... YES , he phoned and said , there were plenty of chickens all kinds all ages and all colors . HEAVEN FORBID ... THANK GOD he has already started on building another coop and run .
lau.gif

yeah!! i'm with cabe...slice and fry!...dip in egg wash..dip in flour/cornmeal mix...fry till golden!..serve with marinara sauce..it is very good!

We make " sausage boil " wth these. Large crock pot , snap in a bunch of green beans and cut up a few pounds of smoked sausage in 2 - 3 inch chunks . Cover with water , cook til green beans are tender then slice in squash in 3/4 to inch thick slices and cook til squash is tender then snarf it down.

Yellow crooked neck squash is my favorite veggie next to tomato so I have several recipes.

Casserole
Stir fry in olive oil or butter with chopped onion (6" or less squash is best) and sliced pepper (red, green bell or my fav is jalapeno) just until tender. Add small amt of water (1/4 cup or less) 1/2 tsp chicken boullion, cover and simmer on low until soft. Add enough velvetta cheese to thicken the liquids and lightly coat the veggies. You can sprinkle bread or ritz cracker crumbs on top and bake in oven.

I alway like to season my yellow squash with Cavendar's Greek seasoning. It is a blend that seems to bring out the flavor. Instead you can use garlic and pepper, another seasoning blend, Mrs Dash dried herbs or poultry seasoning if putting it in a chicken dish.

Squash soup:
Cook chopped squash and chopped onion in chicken broth until tender. Season lightly. When squash is tender add a can of Cream of Chicken soup and velvetta cheese to thicken.

Squash patties:
This is what I do with larger squash. You can cut some of the seeds out if it is very big. Just don't try to use any that is hard (sit that on the deck and pretend it is a yellow goose then use the seeds next year)
Grate the squash, lightly salt and let sit in a collander about 30 min then press out the juices. Add grated onion, flour to bind it together, Greek seasoning and eggs. Shape in to patties and fry on med heat in small amt of oil until light brown. Use med low heat.

Chicken and dressing southern style.
Roast chicken or cook chicken in seasoned water until tender (you can also use this with turkey for Thanksgiving dinner). Cook 3 or 4 squash chopped, 1/2 onion chopped, 2 stalks celery in chicken broth until tender. (you can use frozen or canned squash). Crumble cornbread (I use 1/2 to 2/3 cornbread THIS IS SOUTHERN CORN BREAD AS IN PLEASE OMIT THE SUGAR;>) in a large bowl. Add dried bread crumbs and blend together. Mash squash and add to bread. Mix and add chicken broth and poultry seasoning. (I usually make my own and use fresh thyme and rosemary if I have it, grate a small amt of nutmeg to add and always use sage - I just look at the ingredients in my favorite poultry seasoning then mix my own). Mix together well and taste to see if you have it seasoned right. Salt and pepper to taste also. Then add eggs and mix well. It should be thick but not dry. The more eggs the richer the dressing. I use 3 to 6 depending on the amount I make. Pour in a pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 until set. 45 min about for a large pan.
Giblet gravey to serve over the top. Cook heart, gizzard and liver in salted water until done. Chop and add this and 2 chopped hard boiled eggs to broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Add about 1/3 cup milk. Thicken with cornstarch dissolved in cold water.

Chips:
Slice very thin and deep fry until lightly brown, drain and salt.

Enjoy your squash and if you have too much just slice it blanch it a couple of minutes and freeze to enjoy later.

Quote:
Either that , or a FENCE with chickens inside .
How many do you have ?

I have close to 100 head and they have always been kept in a run and attached coop .

I really don't know how many more I will have later tonight after DH gets back from his adventure at the auction ..... YES , he phoned and said , there were plenty of chickens all kinds all ages and all colors . HEAVEN FORBID ... THANK GOD he has already started on building another coop and run .
lau.gif

We have 19 in our flock and 14 eggs in the gopher-bator and 4-5 under a broody hen. The flock have a large fenced in area but thats only for if I have to leave the house for longer then a few hours ( i hardly ever leave ). Otherwise they are free to roam the yard all they want, but there will be a fence around the garden next year...I would rather fence the garden and not fence the girls.

Back
Top Bottom