Yellow goo in chicken poop and raspy vocals

Jessica241

Songster
5 Years
Oct 22, 2018
Help please!

My almost 3 year old barred rock was not acting herself yesterday- she was making very raspy sounds so at first we suspected a respitory issue. We brought her inside and put vet RX on her beak throughout the day. She wasn't wanting to eat or drink so I made her some hard boiled eggs mashed up and she ate a few of those as well as some worms from the garden. She didn't poop at all overnight and only once this morning when she stood up and it had this yellow goo throughout it (pictured) is it possible it could be more than a respitory issue? Any advice on how to help her is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    557.6 KB · Views: 6
How is she doing now?
Has she been laying eggs?
Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks?

I would feel of her abdomen below the vent between her legs for swelling or fluid.
Sometimes older hens start having reproductive problems like cancer or Peritonitis. Fluid can accompany these conditions and make it more difficult for them breath, causing some raspy breathing.

Help please!

My almost 3 year old barred rock was not acting herself yesterday- she was making very raspy sounds so at first we suspected a respitory issue. We brought her inside and put vet RX on her beak throughout the day. She wasn't wanting to eat or drink so I made her some hard boiled eggs mashed up and she ate a few of those as well as some worms from the garden. She didn't poop at all overnight and only once this morning when she stood up and it had this yellow goo throughout it (pictured) is it possible it could be more than a respitory issue? Any advice on how to help her is appreciated!
Darling I have read your post and looked at her poop and I don’t have the foggiest idea what that is. But mine did have some diarrhea. And raspiness to their voicess which I thought was suspicious. Mine were on medicated feed and had been because they are 12 week old chicks now and that Was at week 8 before they went outside full time but I had been taking them outside for some part day excursions while their coop was under construction. I wonder if it’s a virus? Best of luck to you and your hen. I am sorry I am no good help. Is the heat horrible in your neck of the woods? Is that a possible factor?

Back
Top Bottom