Yellow jacket nest in the coop

longax

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
Help! We have a yellow jacket nest in our coop. It is in one of the nesting boxes which is blocked off right now because our chickens aren't old enough to lay yet. The nest is about the size of an egg. How do we get rid of it without hurting the chickens?

Wait until dark and using as little light as possible forcefully douse the nest with a pork & bean can full of gasoline. It kills wasps so quickly that they very seldom have time to open their wings. It simply freezes them in place.

BTW, I assume that by saying "yellow jackets" that you are referring to paper wasps.

Wait until dark and using as little light as possible forcefully douse the nest with a pork & bean can full of gasoline. It kills wasps so quickly that they very seldom have time to open their wings. It simply freezes them in place.

BTW, I assume that by saying "yellow jackets" that you are referring to paper wasps.
Take the chickens out of the coop and spray it with wasp spray!
Then remove the nest.
Both ways will work choose your pick

I know it is winter...but I have a number of dang-ly legged wasps nests in the summer, not the yellow jackets, They are not as aggressive I can use a hammer and nail right on the coop and they don't get upset. But I am worried about the bald faced hornets, when do they start to become a problem? Also, do I have to go around and knock the wasp nests down now before the spring? I am even afraid of having nest boxes in the coop thinking they will sneak behind and start a nest.

Back
Top Bottom