yellow lab bad skin what to do????

k_long

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Point Harbor N.C.
My puppy 12 weeks old has dry itchy skin when we first got her we chalked it up to all the fleas that were on her. After a very long time of picking all the fleas off she has been flea free for about five weeks. However the insistant scratching continues. She scratches herself raw and whines and now has a red bumpy rash on her belly and back legs. Can we use baby lotion or any suggestions on what to do. We are considering changing her diet to a more natural diet thank you for your advice in advance.

Maybe a trip to the vet to find out if she has a food intolerance.... that's what it sounds like to me. They will run tests to see what it is she's allergic to.
smile.png

2 Of my Jack Russells had the same issues, I changed them to a Grain Free Diet and they are fine. Since we have 6 dogs and the Grain Free Food is $10 for a 5 lb bag, the other dogs get Purina One Lamb & Rice. Try that , Tractor Supply Sells Grain Free, the one I use is the Salmon, it is Taste of The Wild Brand.
I would give it a week and if you do not see a marked difference you may be dealing with another issue and need to go to the vet.

For this time of year, sounds like maybe a food/indoor allergy...def take her to the vet to be sure.

Also, you can get hydrocortizone spray for dogs. sometimes that will help.

I think labs and goldens are especially prone to skin allergies. You'll need to consult your vet eventually to try to find out what the little girl's allergic to if it's really bad. You can try higher end dog foods that don't use a lot of corn and other fillers and artifical ingredients; many dogs are allergic to the corn, etc. Are you SURE you got ALL of the fleas. A dog (or cat) with flea allergies can get horribly itchy from just one or three fleas. It could be a lot of things. I give my male golden an allergy pill if things get rough. I use the Kroger or Walmart generics to get them cheaper. However, not knowing the size of your pup, I'd be hesitant to recommend it. Some use Benadryl. I'd think even the Benadryl lotion rubbed on might help??? Poor thing. It's very frustrating. Good luck!

I have battled these problems as well and have put my GSP on an meat based diet. The salmon based formula is high in omegas which are very good for the skin and coat as well as being more in line with what a canine diet was naturally meant to be.

Grain free food and Grizzly salmon oil. You can buy it from www.jefferspet.com I don't know if it's available in stores. I buy it from jeffers because of their good prices and fast shipping.

thanks for the advice so far. We do need to get her to the vet it just isn't in the budget right now unless it continues and is absolutely neccesary we don't want her to suffer and be miserable. As of now she just has a scratching fit once in a while and does relax most of the time or plays without issue. The rash just appeared and we will be getting some puppy flea medicine, but she hasn't been old enough until recent. We are considering a natural raw meat with some veggies diet. There was just a very good thread on byh about this we just wanted to ask here to thxs

Quote:
After Pumpkinpup spent umpteen dollars on her GSP to figure her issue out, when my 2 started having issues, I decided to try the Grain free first, I also did not have the money at the time to spend with the vet for tests. Luckily in my case it worked. I would try Grain Free first and then if you still have issues, you can go to the vet. My Cocker had allergy problems all his life, his manifested as a cough, I gave him Liquid Childrens Benedyrl, he weighed about 40 lbs and got about 1 1/2 cc in a syringe by mouth. The dosage was recommended by his vet.

I have a pre-vet degree (not as impressive as it sounds really) and a vet tech licence in Ny and groomers licence in VA... just for what it is worth.

I too think a change of diet is in order. I personally recommend PetSmart Advantage brand (the store brand) in lamb and rice. Nutritionally... it is better than even Iams.

Also, use a colloidial oatmeal shampoo and sulphur preparation. If the dog will go for it... you can even put him in an Aveeno bath for 20-30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

(crawls back under her rock)

Back
Top Bottom