1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yellow liquid running from beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs. K, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Recently I added chickens to my flock. Seemed bright eyed and healthy, one of them had a dirty butt, but they all had been in a gunny sack so I was not too worried.

Yesterday I noticed the dirty butt was not getting cleaner, all the others were, and was getting a thicker and thicker coat of green and she was holding her tail down. Today, she was hunched, eyes closed, miserable, and a big crop, when she leaned over to peck something from the ground, a yellow liquid flowed out of her mouth turning the snow yellow.

I separated her from the flock, the rest seem to have adjusted well, and are doing fine, and so are my original hens. This afternoon, I culled her, but am wondering what it was that she had, and praying that whatever it is, does not go through the flock.

I have never seen this.

MrsK

2. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    I had a hen with something like that, she was my favorite hen and it was winter. We brought her in the house and gave her extra loving care. When I picked her up and bent over with her,a yellow fluid just poured out of her beak. She fought and fought to live but there was no improvement. She couldn't really eat much and when she bent over to eat or drink, most of the time, fluids poured out. We ended up culling her. I never did get any answers from anyone on this site and had not seen this symptom before. I wish you the best and hopefully a better outcome than we had with Esther. Good luck!

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Thank you Sunflower,

I felt kind of bad for culling her, but she looked so miserable, and I did not have any other place to keep her. None of the rest of yours caught anything, if I read your post correctly. So far, the rest of mine look well.

I was kind of kicking myself, for ignoring the whole quarantine situation, but the reason I got more chickens this time of year, was I needed more body heat for my coop, and with the temps plunging, could not wait.

Maybe someone else will chime in, I looked up sour croup, but there was no symptom of yellow running out of the mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by