Yellow Poo

Rara541

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
So my turkey had yellow/sulfur looking poo (not diarrhea) and droopy wings and one leg was either broken or affected by illness or something. This all happened very quickly not over time. Was a BEAUTIFUL young healthy girl. We loved her so much. Whatever it was did not kill her. Our neighbors dog did 😤 anywho. Anyone else had that before? I was thinking Mycoplasma from a respiratory infection. She did also have a gross mucus build up on nostrils I had to clean off. Online said it (mycoplasma) could cause lameness…

Sounds like it could have been Blackhead. The short and simple explanation is that blackhead occurs from infection of a single celled protozoan that turkeys pick up from the ground, usually by way of a carrier such as a cecal worm egg or earthworm. Blackhead occurs more frequently if the turkeys are kept with chickens or in an area that chickens were previously kept as chickens can be asymptomatic carriers of blackhead. I too have it in the ground of my property and have done extensive research on preventing it in my current set of turkeys. Before getting anymore turkeys I would recommend researching it and stocking up on medicines that treat it. It wipes out turkeys fast. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sounds like it could have been Blackhead. The short and simple explanation is that blackhead occurs from infection of a single celled protozoan that turkeys pick up from the ground, usually by way of a carrier such as a cecal worm egg or earthworm. Blackhead occurs more frequently if the turkeys are kept with chickens or in an area that chickens were previously kept as chickens can be asymptomatic carriers of blackhead. I too have it in the ground of my property and have done extensive research on preventing it in my current set of turkeys. Before getting anymore turkeys I would recommend researching it and stocking up on medicines that treat it. It wipes out turkeys fast. I'm sorry for your loss.
After a lot of research, I think that’s what it was. We probably will hold off on getting another turkey and just stick with our ducks and chickens. For now I know ducks are super resistant and our chickens seem fine. Thanks so much for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom