Yellow Rat snakes

koifarm

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
saint augustine florida
Just this afternoon I found the third yellow rat snake in the coop, this one about four feet long...big, healthy and hiding in the roof between the insulation and the tin.....spotted his head peeking at me while cleaning the coop up....
Rattled his cage and chased him out where I could grab him and relocated him to about a mile or two down the road....next to a creek.
We hadn't been noticing any eggs missing and he was in the coop, removed from where the nest boxes are and did not appear to have fed recently anyway....no doubt with the cool weather we have been having he was getting warm up there underneath the roof tin.

Quote:
Sorry Texas, been so many of them I seldom take pictures any more....those rascals will eat eggs though....and mice and rats, but you pay them with eggs....not a bad deal all in all unless you have chicks......

We had an infestation with rats so bad, that I was asking people to contact me if they found a big black rat snake. I was at school one day and a big 6-7 footer was hanging around, but by then, I had older chicks on the ground.
hmm.png
Had to resort to using poison instead.

Blessing to have around if you can put up with the surprise of finding them every now and then, just have to watch your eggs and young/small birds.

Back
Top Bottom